Hi all from Lincolnshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Steve20vt

Hi all from Lincolnshire

Post by Steve20vt »

Hi, I'm Steve from Lincolnshire.
I've been thinking about prepping for some years, you know how it is, you sit talking it through with your family and friends but never actually get round to doing it.
I feel the time is right to start doing something about it.

As I'm still very new to prepping and such I thought I'd ask you guys your opinions on my initial thoughts.

My situation is as follows.
I've moved from a town with a population of around 100k to a village of 1700, my immediate family comprises of myself, the mrs and 8 year old daughter.
I'm in my mid (cough) thirties, by trade I'm a HGV mechanic but for the last seven years I've switched to driving for a living.

Our village is small but fairly coastal, with heavy industry within five miles of our location.
The house backs on to farmland and despite being only a few miles from heavy industry it's fairly rural.

I'm just wondering what would be the best position to be in, either bug in or out with where we are?

I'm thinking bug in, we have plenty of ways out through farmland etc.
we've only just begun to start collecting things to put away such as water, tinned produce, medical supplies etc.

How many likeminded folks do we have in the Lincolnshire area?
pseudonym

Re: Hi all from Lincolnshire

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.:)

Great intro. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Steve20vt

Post by Steve20vt »

Thanks, we'll be prepping for immediate potential issues such as short term utility outages, weather disruptions, potential heavy industry explosions / gas leaks / attacks.

I'm thinking bug in is our best option, over the next few weeks I hope to be joining the parish council and getting involved with local issues and checking out the local emergency plans.
There's a volunteer scheme for "local emergencies" that I'll look to join and see what the state of prepping is with locals in the village.
My mrs has lived there all her life so I've been made quite welcome.

I'm a big believer in things happening for a reason and moving out of a high population area (although by no means a city type populace) really felt like the right thing to do.

I've been doing lots of reading and studying of the troubles people faced in Bosnia during the conflicts there, A real eye opener.

My biggest worry is being separated from my family / home when a situation arises.
Being miles away from home is far from ideal with my job.
We've talked it over at home and we have a very loose plan in place.

In a proper shtf situation, We'll use our place to bug in with some members of both families and also another rural family members place about five miles away from our location. Hopefully with some form or radio coms between the two.
If I'm away at work it will be a case of getting back home by any means. Being a trucker I have about a week of supplies that I can carry about my person in kit bag form.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Welcome! Great introduction by the way.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
external

Post by external »

Hello Steve.

Welcome aboard.
I'm from good old Lincolnshire too and like you bug in will be my preferred option.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome Yellow bellie :twisted: from other side of T'Humber

anything usefull on Lincs county council website re emergency planning?

this side of the river its not looking too good on a local level

http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/EasySiteW ... lId=120321
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Welcome to the forum Steve, good point about being seperated from the family too, certainly shows that it's no good only having one prepper in the household if they're away!
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
tigs

Post by tigs »

hello and welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Steve20vt

Post by Steve20vt »

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
The thing with emergency plans in a local sense such as mine is that the folks who have the information don't like to share it, they like to have that something to wield over the "civilians "
Ive yet to infiltrate the local parish council, just waiting to hear back when where and how to get involved.

In a shtf scenario Id feel much happier if I had a like minded community around me.
Trouble is im not the most sociable fella when it comes to people, im having to confront my own issues and learn to be part of a team.
It's hard to do when your used to working on your own.