New to prepping and would like advice :)

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Deeps

Re: New to prepping and would like advice :)

Post by Deeps »

Cherrypie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 pm Like a convention where people sell product or people meet exchange ideas ECT... they have them in USA but couldn't find any in UK when I tried googling it XD xoxoxoxixoxoxo
Have a look at Funky Prepper on youtube, he organises meets in the South of England (I think).
Cherrypie

Post by Cherrypie »

Awww fair one :( xoxoxoxoxxo
Cherrypie

Post by Cherrypie »

Thanks will do hun :) xoxoxo
F4lcon

Post by F4lcon »

Hi cherrypie what’s your general location? I’m in the new forest
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Mand G

Post by Mand G »

Hi, I am new to this site and I think a convention could be great but I do not think they happen here.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Cherrypie :)
Cherrypie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm Hey so I'm pretty got at stocking up my cuboards with food anyway I reckon In have enough dry food to last me and my little one about a month.
Thats a good start - dry food always needs water and a heat source as well, though.
Things I'm interested in know of there any good survivors books that cover things from finding vegetation good to eat to how make radios and just general good knowledge to know.... I know you can prob find books to cover each subject but would like a guide that covers most.
I'd advise two things, really: check out what people on here write about book recommendations, and see what's available for free online first. If you've got some time, this huge blog https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/ from the other side of the planet can really help.
Also what kinda community's there are out there... my family live an hour's drive if worse comes to worse I might not be able to make it to them by car, know few people but not many that on prepping and not gonna lie willing to help others but not really wanting people who will be leaches... also if the world needs rebuilding it's best to do it in a community than try and do it alone....
I hope it doesn't come to that! One thing that might help before *and* after is a transition town ... is there one near you? Places like Totnes, Lewes, Todmorden, are all really famous - they're not preppers, as such, but they're certainly reducing their reliance on global corporations and expanding local food supply, that sort of thing. Might be your cuppa tea.
Also advices on how make or prep my home to make it secure from everything from riots to zombies to weapons....
There's a lot of detailed advice on here about securing your home: automatic light switches, screws for doorframes, locks, bolts, fire safety, all sorts of things. Protection from zombies, take your pick on kindle fiction :mrgreen:
... if there's any other single mum's out there who got advice or gadgets that could come in hand if worse comes to worse to help protect/calm and general keep my little one safe...
You wrote this a while ago, and I'm not sure what you mean, but helping a child feel safe and secure is really important, for sure. From personal experience, all I've seen is when babies are taken into noisy environments (a sports meet, things like that) I've seen babies of less than a year old wear noise-cancelling earphones :)

HTH
Sarge2506

Post by Sarge2506 »

Hi ya,
As far as books go, anything by Lofty Wiseman, and also Ray Mears.
As far as weapons go, get a bow, crossbow or compound, either will do, why? You can only use a bullet once, arrows and bolts can be retrieved, and used again.
Also I would suggest learning knife skills, not fighting, but how to use them as tools for skinning , gutting and general survival or camp work.
Hope this helps.
Sarge2506
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sarge2506 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:09 pm Hi ya,
As far as books go, anything by Lofty Wiseman, and also Ray Mears.
As far as weapons go, get a bow, crossbow or compound, either will do, why? You can only use a bullet once, arrows and bolts can be retrieved, and used again.
Also I would suggest learning knife skills, not fighting, but how to use them as tools for skinning , gutting and general survival or camp work.
Hope this helps.
Sarge2506
Please be aware that we don't discuss ' Weapons' here. Also,at this point in time,hunting with bows and crossbows has been illegal since 1981.Therefore that is not to be discussed.Thank you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.