Another Sprog

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Muxley

Another Sprog

Post by Muxley »

Another Sprog jumping aboard.
New to Prepping but eager to learn. Baby steps first & a lot of browsing previous post before I start asking questions.
Deeps

Re: Another Sprog

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, good idea to do a bit of research, what aspects of prepping appeal to you, its a broad subject.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:Welcome to the forum, good idea to do a bit of research, what aspects of prepping appeal to you, its a broad subject.

Here' Here :) I do sometimes wonder if we have ever had on board a true prepping virgin as it were, someone with almost empty cupboards, not a rucksack, a sleeping bag, nor a Swiss army knife in sight, one who would be screwed in some way the very same day if all the shops were shut and the power went off?

I say that because most of us have had some experience or have a hand me down mentality from a different era when stocking up for Xmas was a necessity, I still remember one experience learned around 50 years ago at that time of year--- Batteries! who else has had the Xmas crisis if the toys either not having batteries with them, or running out before the turkey was cooked? Then some relative running around places such as garages to find some :lol:

I tell the tale of The grandmother collecting the granddaughter from school gurning shifting form one foot to the other because she's run out of toilet roll but has to collect the child before she can get to a shop then home for the relief :lol:

We live and learn? Well not all of us, far too many over the past few decades have discarded and forgotten the back ups and "just in case" mentality for the "just in time" stumbling from one avoidable calamity to the next life style.

I suppose I am saying you're on the right track to research, but you can apply that to almost everything you do, let's say for instance you run out of milk? The first option is to nip down to the corner shop and buy some right? Around here that means paying around as much for a pint as we do for four pints at the supermarket, so we don't tend to do much running out of anything, but for the new prepper imagine option number one just isn't there - have you got some powdered milk just in case? Then if you wish to take it further imagine option number one (the corner shop) is not there and neither is number two, do you stock up on powdered to get you through a week with no shopping? It could also be you being the spanner in the works, an injury preventing you walking or driving to replace stuff, it needn't be TEOTWAWKI just a massive but temporary pain in the arse which being prepared for reduces the impact to tolerable levels.

Good luck, start small.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Prepping for a baby

If he /she isn't breast fed extra milk powder (we try and keep 2 on stock and one in use)

A stove for boiling water and sterilisation

We keep 10 liters of tap water 2x5l on rotation for him incase we loose water (bought bottles can cause uiset bellies

Infracol / gripe water on stick

Calpol and shuffle babe

Nappies and wipes by the million

And you can never have enough vests

A chemical biological and nuclear suit and gas mask might come in. Handy for a breach ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Prepping for a baby

If he /she isn't breast fed extra milk powder (we try and keep 2 on stock and one in use)

A stove for boiling water and sterilisation

We keep 10 liters of tap water 2x5l on rotation for him incase we loose water (bought bottles can cause uiset bellies

Infracol / gripe water on stick

Calpol and shuffle babe

Nappies and wipes by the million

And you can never have enough vests

A chemical biological and nuclear suit and gas mask might come in. Handy for a breach ;)
Not sure if our friend Muxley has a new arrival. I think he/she is referring to themselves as the new sprog... :mrgreen: 8-) :mrgreen:

Welcome, Muxley.
Muxley

Post by Muxley »

Thank you for the welcomes & pointers.
Starting Small is probably one of the best bits of advice, too often the urge to do everything ‘Now!’ can be overwhelming; I’ll be paying attention to that one!

Plymtom, you are quite correct.
I’m at the half-century stage of life & was brought up parents who lived through WW2 & are definitely part of the ‘be prepared’ generation; they never knew if they’d be bombed out so had plans afoot.

I suppose I’m already on my way to ‘being prepared’ in some ways.
My home, car & work bag have FAKs, of various sizes. I always have a knife on me & have done for the last 40 years; my work bag has 3 different sorts. All the ones that leave the house are so-called ‘street legal’, in the home is a different matter.

After having a look in the cupboards I notice that if something happens & I can’t get out I’ve enough foodstuffs to keep me going for at least 14 days. As for toilet rolls....my Wife is always buying them ‘just in case’.

As for babies....I’ve made it to 50 without having any, that I know off, & I’d like to keep it that way :D .
My Wife has kids but they’re grown up & have their own....Step-Kids = Instant Family without a nappy-change in sight.

You right Itsybitsy, I’m the Sprog; another sure if they use it now but a common term used in the Fire Service for a new recruit at the station.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Sounds like you have a healthy approach to it mate, a lot of us have rushed it and tried to do everything at once. If you figure out what your prepping priorities are and work towards them, while youtube and places like this are great, its easy to get distracted by all the 'shiny shiny' and what others are up to, as you say, start small and work up. If you've got a couple weeks of scran in that's a good start, water is a fundamental and something to cook your 14 days worth on if the mains are down.

Don't be shy on asking questions either, there's all sorts of knowledge on here.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome FNG. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.