Hello there!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
OCDprepgirl

Hello there!

Post by OCDprepgirl »

Hi there :) I've been interested in prepping / terrified of SHTF scenarios for quite some time now and have been doing something about it in drubs and drabs. To explain the username- I do indeed have OCD and it tends to latch on to things like apocalyptic scenarios and set off compulsive behaviours. So instead of taking a few Valium every time I'm frozen by terror by the news, I decided to turn prepping into a more productive compulsion.

I can't really talk to anyone about it in real life as they don't seem to understand - my fiancé thinks I'm being ridiculous (a 2am conversation on how long he could survive without insulin and what the expiry date is on his insulin followed by me scuttling downstairs to check struck him as particularly silly I think), my mum gets having a good store cupboard but nothing much else, and all the girls at work go to the supermarket every two days. It would be nice to have a community to share ideas with.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and go off for a mooch around the forums :)
hobo

Re: Hello there!

Post by hobo »

Welcome!
tigs

Post by tigs »

welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
unsure

Post by unsure »

hello and welcome from me as well .
for me any thing that drives you , in your case , as you say OCD isnt all ways a bad thing .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! I hope that taking positive actions in prepping will help you deal with the terror, its horrible to be living in such intense fear like that.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

hello and welcome to the forum.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
valderee

Post by valderee »

A warm welcome from me, enjoy the forum. :)
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

Welcome to the Forum.

It is really GREAT to see how you have used what many would call a hampering force in your life, into a major positive driver. Good on you.

Don't stress to much about the fact that the majority of society does not get the prepping thing.

Our society has lived in a bit of a fantasy world for a bit to long. When they ended rationing in the 50's, society went a bit of the path. The world in general is and always been a bit of dangerous place. So I like to believe that Preppers are just leading realistic lives.

The peace of mind that being prepared can give you, can allow a person to REALLY enjoy the good things in life. Being prepped as we are, we can then smell the roses with peace of mind.
I don't do politics or religion. Seen to many people die because of these.

I post to contribute so take as you see fit. My way is not the only way.

Cheers
OCDprepgirl

Post by OCDprepgirl »

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Luckily for me the OCD side of things is not as bad as it once was, but every so often it rears it's head (and prepping is letting my hair grow properly now, I suffered from trichtillomania but now I bung it back in a bun and go and plant something or clear a cupboard out to make way for emergency supplies :) )

My take on prepping at the moment is more for personal SHTF with some hyperinflation concerns on the side so I'm looking to make the best of my stores and garden (I've also joined the waiting list for an allotment near my work on a site that's hopefully better managed than my old site). Also trying to pluck up the courage to join the village WI! Nothing like learning new skills :)

Anyway, better get one, I've a stack of Apple turnovers to come out of the oven! Looking forward to being part of this great community :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

hello and welcome to the forum
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.