Why?

UK Preppers introduction and forum rules
aels747

Why?

Post by aels747 »

So my name is Ali. Before I get started I just wanted to say that am not here to make fun. I am just interested and have a few questions:

What are you prepping for?
What makes you think this certain event will occur?
How long have you been prepping?
Why do you think people lke me should be prepping?

Thats all..again! I don't mean to make fun!

Thanks!

Ali
hobo

Re: Why?

Post by hobo »

aels747 wrote: What are you prepping for?
What makes you think this certain event will occur?
How long have you been prepping?
Why do you think people lke me should be prepping?
Ali,

Good questions, lots of different answers.
Maybe tell us what brought you here and what you're prepping for?

Hobo
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

I will second what Hobo has said.

What bought you here?
aels747

Post by aels747 »

I am not accctually peeping for anything. I am not a prepper. I was just wondering what are you prepping for . I came here because of all the YouTube videos and the Nat geo vids.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Why?............It costs me money each year to pay for my home insurance. I've never needed to make a claim on it. Waist of money? I don't think so, one day I may need it.
I hope I don't, but there's a reasonable chance I will.
Last edited by Vespa on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I keep learning new skills and thinking carefully about what supplies I have in order to be able to help others, opportunities for which occur on a daily basis.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Everyone is different... depending on location in the world or uk itself. Even past experiences ask any 60 year old about the 3 day week if your based in the uk.......

some are planning / preparing for unemployment (food and basic supplies stockpiled for when your skint)

Some are preparing for natural disasters... But again its different for people depending on location those on the hills in scotland will probably be prepping for been snowed in where as those on low levels are organising themselves around flooding, If your in the Kansas area of the USA tornadoes might over take any other prepping

others its security related for say terrorist attacks

or day to day problems when your out and about... got a car? do you carry a spare wheel and jack or fix flat kit? how about a tow rope (your already prepping for something that might happen)

Others are gearing themselves up for the end of the world...... :tinfoil

take a read of a few news reports of late

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25517504

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25517001

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-25516516

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25458512

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-25508084

It could be seen to be risk vs severity vs likelyhood in many peoples mind.......
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

It was the floods of 2007 that started me prepping.
We were lucky not to lose our water but many did.
The stores were stripped bare and people were queuing for bottled water. Water bowsers were vandalised.

My first prep was water and food quickly followed.

When I retrained 3 years ago I had no immediate employment. My food stocks kept us going until the agency worked started and now I'm in full time employment.

We have learnt to grow up own fruit and vegetables. They taste great and although not initially saving us money, with rising food prices I know we could subliment our diet very well. We make much of our own food from scratch (bread etc) because its better for us (and what if it wasn't available in the supermarkets).

Think of this week. Many people couldn't cook their Christmas dinner because of power cuts due to the storms.
We built a clay oven, firstly for the fantastic pizzas they cook but I know I could have cooked my Christmas dinner in there if we didn't have power.

We have learnt skills that don't require power, we have raised livestock (chickens and pigs) - this gives us knowledge of animal husbandry and the meat is sooooo much nicer than supermarket cr*p!

So we prep for bad weather, rising living costs, loss of power (short term and long term) and to secure our children's future (learning almost forgotten skills).

Other people prep for many different things but zombie invasion is low on my list :tinfoil

Hope that helps.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

One thing that I would like to be prepared for but cannot afford to is road fuel shortages, thinking of the strikes but also where I live is very remote and sometimes fuel deliveries do not get through.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Malthouse wrote:One thing that I would like to be prepared for but cannot afford to is road fuel shortages, thinking of the strikes but also where I live is very remote and sometimes fuel deliveries do not get through.

Keep an eye out in second hand shops for a "road bike" if your fit enough to ride a bike... These are better for covering distance than a mountain bike
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine