Survival Courses?

UK Preppers introduction and forum rules
ThomasDeAquino

Survival Courses?

Post by ThomasDeAquino »

As a newbie I wondered whether it would be worthwhile attending a survival course as introduction to living in the wilderness?

For example, I saw this site (http://backwoodsurvival.co.uk/courses.htm) but would be interested in (1) whether anyone would recommend going on any courses and (2), if so, which courses.

Thanks!
pseudonym

Re: Survival Courses?

Post by pseudonym »

Depends if you have money to burn.

I'd buy these two from Collin Gems:

The SAS survival guide - Lofty Wiseman

Food for Free - Richard Mabley

Join a Bushcraft Forum, and pay a £10 for a weekend near where you live and learn at your pace. That way if it's not for you, you've saved a fortune on not buying kit you'll never use.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If it was my money I'd rather go on a Bushcraft course then a Survival course, all other things being equal

Bushcraft is how to live in the woods with a decent degree of comfort, with the idea that you're doing it for fun and will probably willingly go back again.

Survival is how to not die in the woods and get to safety as soon as possible, with the idea that like life insurance you hope you'll never need it.

A lot of Bushcraft skills can be used for Survival, but some Survival skills shouldn't be used for Bushcraft

I'd second Pseudonym's book list, and add "Outdoor survival hand book" and "Wild Food" both by Ray Mears (I'd of said "Essential Bushcraft" as well but thats out of print and a new copy is over £100 :shock: )

Also,if you haven't already have a look around on http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forum.php....I'd recommend lurking and reading for a while but theres plenty of helpful folks on there
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Kev0794

Post by Kev0794 »

Apart from the excellent book selection above, there`s nothing to stop you getting hands on experience with other preppers and bushcrafters when meeting up from time to time!