2020 Potential Economic Collapse

For all things financial
redskies

Re: 2020 Potential Economic Collapse

Post by redskies »

jansman wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm
redskies wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:52 pm Just because it's there doesn't mean I have to use it. Yes, I am stubborn, bloody minded, intractable & utterly relentless!
The latest articles about the virus surviving up to 28 days on modern bank notes seem to fit this narrative/plan as well.

Barter still exists. And there will be more, I think, if they get rid of cash.
The Covid on banknotes is a little misleading; It was an experiment done at optimum’Covid’ temperature, and in the dark.

Cash will be here for the foreseeable future. Today the main electricity cable into the trading estate my daughters factory is on,was cut through by a JCB. That was 7.30 am. 4 pm today still not live! She says they have lost almost a million pounds worth of production today! And that is one out of several hundred factories and units up there. No microwave for warming lunch, so out to the burger van and convenience store on the edge of the estate...and they are only taking cash!😀

Yes, misleading, but it will still be used as an excuse. And that even though it wouldn't be too difficult to introduce systems to counter it.

We've been pretty consistent throughout this; don't want our cash, lose the business, that simple. But other places are the opposite.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Cashless is definitely coming. No doubt. It will take a while but come it will.

Sadly you are unlikely to have the choice to avoid it. Your right to insist on paying cash is only as strong as the obligation of merchants to take it, which is less than earlier decades.

Shops can choose not to take your business as much as you can choose not to give it to them.

And if it starts to cost them 3, 4, 5% to cash out and deposit your cash in the bank compared to the 0.75% for card transactions then sadly the market will move against cash.

Im not saying I agree, just that the move to cashless won’t be as a result of overt edict. It will be a slow and incipid movement.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Bosworth wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:17 pm Cashless is definitely coming. No doubt. It will take a while but come it will.

Sadly you are unlikely to have the choice to avoid it. Your right to insist on paying cash is only as strong as the obligation of merchants to take it, which is less than earlier decades.

Shops can choose not to take your business as much as you can choose not to give it to them.

And if it starts to cost them 3, 4, 5% to cash out and deposit your cash in the bank compared to the 0.75% for card transactions then sadly the market will move against cash.

Im not saying I agree, just that the move to cashless won’t be as a result of overt edict. It will be a slow and incipid movement.
I'm as far outside the mainstream economy as it's possible to get. I choose to be so because I don't agree with any of it. That's not going to change, and I will do my level best to stay where I am or move further away. To me, when you engage with something, you condone it, and I can't condone what is a fundamentally unsustainable, flawed and biased system.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I cant see anyway of avoiding joining the digital money system even in the most modest way.

Imagine living off grid, without mortgage or rent, not watching TV, with a private income and / or tangible savings, generating your own power, water supply, drainage and growing your own food, (phew :o ) you would still have to pay council tax and car tax, assuming you could 'barter' your way through an MOT or had a pre-tax vintage vehicle.

What other unavoidable payments are there?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Different insurance
Fire
House
Car
Fill er up jacko...
redskies

Post by redskies »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:18 am I cant see anyway of avoiding joining the digital money system even in the most modest way.

Imagine living off grid, without mortgage or rent, not watching TV, with a private income and / or tangible savings, generating your own power, water supply, drainage and growing your own food, (phew :o ) you would still have to pay council tax and car tax, assuming you could 'barter' your way through an MOT or had a pre-tax vintage vehicle.

What other unavoidable payments are there?

Honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. Barter is still alive and well where we live. Even with folk like the village mechanic. The rest I'm sure I could figure out as I go!
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. Barter is still alive and well where we live. Even with folk like the village mechanic. The rest I'm sure I could figure out as I go!
Same here. Barter goes on every day more than people think.
blue90

Post by blue90 »

So long as there is personal debt the people who print the money will decide how they want it back.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Lemne wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:19 am
Same here. Barter goes on every day more than people think.
Indeed it does. Since we moved here, we've bartered for all sorts, from lamb to venison, eggs - and for one job, hubby got paid in live ducks!

We both have pretty marketable skills. And are, generally, pretty useful in terms of being able to turn our hands to many different things. I'm sure we'd manage.
jansman

Post by jansman »

blue90 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 pm So long as there is personal debt the people who print the money will decide how they want it back.
As we no longer make anything, we no longer have an ‘Economy’ so debt is the New Economy ‘.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.