2020 Potential Economic Collapse

For all things financial
jansman

Re: 2020 Potential Economic Collapse

Post by jansman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Arzosah wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:38 pm
Daylen, thanks for that, I like the sound of that.
Here is a link. Prices are pretty much standard.

https://www.calorgas-heaters.co.uk/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

redskies

Post by redskies » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 pm

daylen wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:35 pm
A calor-gas heater might be the way to go. From a quick search:

"A modern full-sized Calor gas heater rated at 4.2 Kilowatts will last for 50 hours on one 15Kg gas bottle, turn it down to 2 Kilowatts (the heat output of most portable electric fires) and it will last for 105 hours."

A 15kg butane bottle isn't massively cheap to start with - £85, but refills are £45 which isn't bad.

And if it's the sort of heater I'm thinking of - the sort we have for powercuts in the winter - then another big advantage is that it has wheels, so when it's turned off, you can shift it from room to room, so you can direct the heat where you happen to be.

jansman

Post by jansman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm

They are very economical, and if you have a punt around, you will find delivery for bottles. When my brother was on his uppers, he used one of these very successfully through a very cold Winter in his flat. Saved him a mint.
He lives now, in a Romany style double wheel based ‘van with a huge awning, and that gas heater is still going strong in that awning.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm

Arzosah, we got a new calor heater, and with Flogas you don't pay for the cylinder, at least not up here. I got the 13kg bottle and it was £31. You just need one cylinder plus one spare, and keep it outside the back door or in a shed.
Attachments
astove.jpg

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:26 pm

Godsake I missed a whole page of posts lol sorry if mine doesn't make sense now :mrgreen:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:58 pm

diamond lil wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm
Arzosah, we got a new calor heater, and with Flogas you don't pay for the cylinder, at least not up here. I got the 13kg bottle and it was £31. You just need one cylinder plus one spare, and keep it outside the back door or in a shed.
Still makes sense, absolutely, and its very lovely too! I'm not able to pay attention to this properly until tomorrow, but I want to make a decision sooner rather than later - get it in the house, sort of thing. Which is very connected to the sense that we may have an economic collapse of some degree this year, during the cold season - gas supplies most of our heating, certainly *my* heating, and it goes off a lot less frequently than electricity (plus if the leccy's off, the gas is off, of course), and having no back up other than these little stoves was starting to concern me.

Thank you all!