Insurance.

For all things financial
jansman

Insurance.

Post by jansman »

Insurance.A necessary evil? Maybe. I have recently sorted our life insurances,so that if either of us die,or become terminally ill,the other is comfortably sorted.As we get older this may be an issue.In our current economy and beggar-thy-neighbour society I consider this a valuable prep tbh.Frankly,there's no back up from the social security system.

House insurance is the same.A lot of folks do without it.Fair enough,its their choice and it is not a legal requirement.Recently a family in our village suffered a devastating house fire.As tenants they had no need for buildings cover,but nor did they have contents cover! They stood in the street in pyjamas.All they owned in the world at that point.They had to rely on handouts and charity.

Then of course there is statutory motor insurance. Its law to have that.In my experience, when its needed it works! As much as we moan about paying for it. :lol

There's a lot of us here who have dogs.They are part of our lives and our families.Dog owners get this! Do you have pet insurance? Well we do.

Today I had to take our pooch to the vet.I won't bore you with details,but the old boy has to have reconstruction surgery on his leg.£2,000 quid if you please! I contacted the insurers,and its all good.It will cost us £75 excess and a score for the vet to fill in the forms.I'll live with that.

Insurances ( for the appropriate situations) are a proper prep in my opinion.You may have a Sooper Dooper bug out bag ready for
hypothetical TEOTWAWKI,but lack of insurance in the real world really could mean financial Armageddon!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Re: Insurance.

Post by Deeps »

+1 for the insurance. We both have decent work pensions so just got insurance to pay the mortgage off which would leave either of us OK. Pets are a big part of our lives so are insured up the ying yang. Hope the dug is doing well mate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:+1 for the insurance. We both have decent work pensions so just got insurance to pay the mortgage off which would leave either of us OK. Pets are a big part of our lives so are insured up the ying yang. Hope the dug is doing well mate.
Thanks Deeps.He's on painkillers for a week prior to assessment. We will see.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
Deeps wrote:+1 for the insurance. We both have decent work pensions so just got insurance to pay the mortgage off which would leave either of us OK. Pets are a big part of our lives so are insured up the ying yang. Hope the dug is doing well mate.
Its hard isn't it, you can't explain things to them and they give you the "Dad, make it better" big eyes.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote:
Thoughts are with you and your dog.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:
jansman wrote:
Its hard isn't it, you can't explain things to them and they give you the "Dad, make it better" big eyes.
Dead right!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I used to go without contents insurance all the time, then I moved into a place where one of the conditions of the tenancy was that I had to have it, no idea of the legality of it but I got some and intended to cancel it.

Time went by and I never got around to cancelling it, then I got burgled.

I’ve been insured up to the eyeballs ever since.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Insurance is one thing I have never gone without. Even when I've been struggling financially, I've done without something else to pay the premiums and his princessness has pet insurance. Yet another thing on the list of stuff to do next year is sort some life insurance out. The shed contents included in the house insurance, it would cost me an arm and a leg to replace all the tools.

Hope there's a positive outcome for the pooch J. It's never easy when your pet's poorly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I used to go without contents insurance all the time, then I moved into a place where one of the conditions of the tenancy was that I had to have it, no idea of the legality of it but I got some and intended to cancel it.

Time went by and I never got around to cancelling it, then I got burgled.

I’ve been insured up to the eyeballs ever since.
We've kind of gone the other way on contents, we used to have it but we don't have anything really expensive. If the house burns down then we'd have to dig a bit deeper to replace but we're not particularly lavish and while a break in might cost us laptops/ipad type stuff the loss of the information that hadn't been backed up would be more of a loss. The most expensive things in the house to replace like for like are the sofa's (was 2.5k for the pair) and they're pretty done now and would be replaced by cheaper anyway. Its a gamble but the whole insurance thing is.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well,Pooch update! Dog is in for surgery tomorrow morning.Not as steep as I thought.The vet says £700 at the outside,so I will bank on 800! :lol: After paying the vet for form filling and the insurance excess,it will probably cost us £100.This I can live with.What I will not be able to live with is Mrs.J fretting for the 24 hrs he is with the vet.He is the baby boy she never had! :lol: She's on a course over in Nottingham tomorrow and is whittling that she won't get home in time to go and see him! :roll:

Robert Frost.

Me.