Mining as a part of prepping

For all things financial
peejay

Re: Mining as a part of prepping

Post by peejay »

As Bitcoin is being discussed further elsewhere here I thought I'd update this topic with my latest "investment" status.

As ever, Bitcoin has been hugely volatile with many significant peaks & troughs still ongoing.

I did decide to dip in a little more, again more out of curiosity than anything else (i.e. not a serious attempt at making money) with mixed results so far.

One thing I'll say is "m really not an investor of any kind of experience whatsoever so it's not as if I watched it & tried to perfectly time my buys etc I literally just thought - WTH, I'll buy a bit more & see what happens.

So, as of today, this is where I'm at:

Original £10 bought on 12th August is (as of this minute) valued at £28.56
A further £100 I bought on 3rd November is currently worth £151.17
Another £100 bought on 3rd December is currently worth £96.16

So, thus far I'm in for £210 (plus around 3% transaction charges - let's say a further £7 total for roundness) but my "stash" is currently valued at £275.88.

Bear in mind the second £100 was only bought in a few days ago so hasn't had much chance to move as yet, at the time I bough it my £110 investment was worth around £174 so still reasonable for a couple of months elapsed.

As it happens, (due to /not/ watching activity etc) I seem to have bought the last £100 at a peak which has since gone wildly up & down since, but I fully expect it to trend upwards for the foreseeable.

I must confess, (before I bought the latest £100) I thought a lot about holding out until it doubles, then take out my original investment value - £110) meaning anything further was pure "profit" and I could no longer lose anything at all, but then I can't help but wonder how much it could turn into if I just left it to percolate as it were.

At the end of the day, even if it tumbled drastically tomorrow it's an amount I'm ok leaving tied up if/when it bounces back, but for me personally, the wondering "what if it increases seriously" is outweighing the "what if it crashes" so I'll at least keep some of it in regardless.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I find this really interesting. Going to do a bit of research...
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

But what can you buy with it?
korolev

Post by korolev »

I punted £100 on litecoin in February.

I now have £72 of litecoin.

I remain VERY sceptical and still think the arse could fall out of it.
peejay

Post by peejay »

The arse already fell out of it (in February as it happens!) and it's finally now recovering. I ended up with about £1250-ish total in various coins which was approaching £1800 at one point, then dropped to around £500 but the last couple of weeks has been picking up again. So, it depends exactly when in feb you bought in as you could be in for a nice increase.

Cryptocurrency has had many drops over the years but the trend is generally upwards (for the right currencies of course).

It's definitely a subject to do some research on before diving in too seriously though.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Cryptos are definitely well worth having in your preps, adds another option to the list of possible payment methods.

Cryptos potentially have more "intrinsic" value than paper money, both are based on some degree of belief and trust, but at least Cryptos have transparency and science / mathematics behind them.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
peejay

Post by peejay »

Well, crypto has been on the rise again for the last year, to the point where I'm finally about back to where I started! :lol:

My holdings which started around £1250-worth dropped to a low of around £136 just about a year ago (I think I remember seeing it down to £128) but after an overall portfolio increase of 601% in the last year (as of this minute, and minutes count in crypto!) value-wise I'm about where I started late 2017/early 2018, technically, though I lost out on £300 worth of my original "investment" in early 2018 due to an exchange being supposedly hacked (enquiries still ongoing) so basically having that amount "stolen".

The volatility is quite astonishing! My top two risers are up 25% & 15% today alone! I've decided I'll leave it there long-term now - the money is "forgotten" now anyway unless perhaps I hit proper hard times but hopefully by then it'll only have continued to increase, on average.
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 pm Well, crypto has been on the rise again for the last year, to the point where I'm finally about back to where I started! :lol:

My holdings which started around £1250-worth dropped to a low of around £136 just about a year ago (I think I remember seeing it down to £128) but after an overall portfolio increase of 601% in the last year (as of this minute, and minutes count in crypto!) value-wise I'm about where I started late 2017/early 2018, technically, though I lost out on £300 worth of my original "investment" in early 2018 due to an exchange being supposedly hacked (enquiries still ongoing) so basically having that amount "stolen".

The volatility is quite astonishing! My top two risers are up 25% & 15% today alone! I've decided I'll leave it there long-term now - the money is "forgotten" now anyway unless perhaps I hit proper hard times but hopefully by then it'll only have continued to increase, on average.
Please forgive my genuine question and technical ignorance. How do you turn this currency into something you can actually spend?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... es-UK.html

Not that I have any as I missed the boat when this all started
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just because there's a little bit of pessimism in everything ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment -56215787
I can't get these bloody links to work even after typing it in manually but basically it's a report saying how bitcoins massive energy consumption could burst it's bubble.
http://forum.powerswitch.org.uk/viewtop ... =1&t=27646
Now that link worked and takes you to another forum where the original came up...