How is prepping different in the UK?

For all things financial
Apartment Prepper

How is prepping different in the UK?

Post by Apartment Prepper »

Hello, I write The Apartment Preppers blog. We recently had a guest post "An Insight into UK Prepping" Check it out at http://apartmentprepper.com/an-insight- ... -prepping/ Tells us what you think, would be interested to see your comments. Also, if you prep in an apartment, please let me know what topics would interest you.
Deeps

Re: How is prepping different in the UK?

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum Apartment Prepper, could you pop over to the 'New Members Start Here' section and post a quick intro, I hope you find the site useful and not just here to advertise.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Just looked at the guy who wrote the UK things website...40 quid for ONE tin of chicken and rice...as Ive said before, nice work if you can get it
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

That guy has absolutely no idea about firearms law, not a single part of that section is correct.
This part really irritates me: "If the SHTF to the extent that society is at risk, it will only be military, farmers and criminals that will have access to firearms." I have firearms legally, as do several on this site and over a million other people, many many more could have them if they want them, and shotgun certificates are "shall issue" rather than "may issue", this kind of idiotic misinformation really winds me up, and to be honest, means that he is either too lazy or stupid to check or is deliberately giving out wrong information because he sells crossbows.

He's also rather struggling to understand the difference between the EU and NATO, the man is clearly not as knowledgable as he would like us to think.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

This chap is simply looking for traffic to his blog.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Brambles wrote:This chap is simply looking for traffic to his blog.
At least I now know not to buy anything from that wally.

To the OP apartment prepper, in the event that you do come back here, bin that rambling off your blog, it doesn't make you look good, even if the rest of what is on there is gold dust having read that first gives me no inclination to read further.

What also doesn't look good is sharing it on here without a word when it's already been pointed out that it's full of wrong information in the comments, including a link to the relevant law.
I don't like people that write misinformation into articles, but that can be down to not knowing any better.
I like people that knowingly share misinformation after being made aware that it's wrong a lot less, especially when that misinformation damages the public perception of my sport and equates legal gun owners, some of the most law abiding people in the country, with criminals.

Really not the best first impression.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Yeah as another regular shooter, it annoys me how many people don't know UK law in relation to firearms. I mean, legally you can own a .50 BMG!!

And while semi automatic rifles are restricted to section 5 (pretty much impossible to obtain for your average citizen) there are loopholes in the law allowing guns like the 223 lever release or VZ 58 MARS which are very close to the real thing.

Check out the VZ 58 MARS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRZmSsPRAN4
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

The comment 'There are no preppers stockpiling crossbows and bolts' is a little presumptuous. Does he know every prepper and their preps?
If/when I get a crossbow, I would have a stockpile of bolt\spare parts or even another crossbow. I wouldn't be looking to fight with it (unless I had to), it would be for hunting*.

I have a firearm certificate, a rifle and ammo. I am neither military, a farmer, or a criminal.

His comment 'Therefore, the majority of peppers in the UK concern themselves with making provisions for global cataclysm.' also makes the presumption that he knows all of us. A small part of my preps are for a global shtf scenario, but most of them are not!

I kinda like the look of the apartmentprepper blog, will have a good look at it all later.

*Only if ts had truly htf. I am aware of the illegality of crossbow hunting.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
shocker

Post by shocker »

Granted, there are some good things on the apartment prepper site like recipes for making your own laundry detergent and breakfast cereal, however the UK article is not one of them. And the blokes shop is shite. Sorry, but it is.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Not my sort of chap at all, I very much doubt he will return
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea