financial prepping the way I see it

For all things financial
Deeps

Re: financial prepping the way I see it

Post by Deeps »

bobble wrote:Tesco Bank "robbery" the other day has made me sit up and pay attention. Some people had their money taken from their accounts but one guy on the news said his account was ok but his cash card was 'frozen' and he couldnt use it! He was intending to borrow cash off friends. Glad I made myself stick some real dosh in my jam jar (not jammy and not actually a jar!)
Feel sorry for all those people who have been affected though.
I like to have cash in the house too. Sometimes I have a good few hundred quid in my wallet/cash stash other times its a good bit less but we also have one of those money jars that you need to smash, its officially the missus's but I've tossed in too, there's notes as well as coins, my best guess is 4 or 5 hundred quid plus in it, at least. Apart from diesel for Her Maj's wheels I'm pretty content that we have enough of pretty much everything I can think of to keep us ticking over for a while without cash. Off the top of my head, I'm probably weakest on pet food, there are times when I would like more stored but there's ways round it, I'm a short walk away from the countryside for starters.

If its an attack on one bank or institution then we have 'cover', I have a couple of accounts with one bank and my credit card is with another (Tesco worryingly I suppose) and the missus has a separate one with a different bank (CC with that bank too though). I've also got good friends in the neighbourhood who would I hope help out as I would them if the roles were reversed. If its an attack on all of them its going to get messy but as a prepper its the time to put the sunglasses on, open a bottle of something tasty and watch the country descend into cannibalism before your very eyes. Half an hour later when the banks are working there will be a lot of guilty looking folk about. :lol:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I currently have about £200 in various denominations from 10p to £20 in the TEOTWAWKI jam jar stash (though mostly £10 and £20 - the coinage is in case of having to use vending machines/payphones). Just finished replacing all the fivers with the new plastic ones! I'm slowly building it up and aim for £400-£500 enough for a night in a (cheap) hotel and/or a coach/train trip somewhere i.e. an event that would require the most amount of cash in an emergency situation where there is no plastic or ATMs available. Everything else, like filling the car with petrol, is considerably less money (at current prices of course!). The TEOTWAWKI stash also comes in handy on nasty, raw nights when the urge for pizza strikes as it means I never have to worry if I have cash on hand for the delivery boy! :D The pizza money always gets replaced, and a little extra added to the pot as penance within a couple of days 8-)
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:I currently have about £200 in various denominations from 10p to £20 in the TEOTWAWKI jam jar stash (though mostly £10 and £20 - the coinage is in case of having to use vending machines/payphones). Just finished replacing all the fivers with the new plastic ones! I'm slowly building it up and aim for £400-£500 enough for a night in a (cheap) hotel and/or a coach/train trip somewhere i.e. an event that would require the most amount of cash in an emergency situation where there is no plastic or ATMs available. Everything else, like filling the car with petrol, is considerably less money (at current prices of course!). The TEOTWAWKI stash also comes in handy on nasty, raw nights when the urge for pizza strikes as it means I never have to worry if I have cash on hand for the delivery boy! :D The pizza money always gets replaced, and a little extra added to the pot as penance within a couple of days 8-)
There has been the very odd time where my stash is down to my coins and Her Maj (she's getting the blame anyway) has had a hankering for pizza/curry so we've had to schlep out to the cash point. Admittedly I could pay using change but I'd have a big beamer paying for a couple of pizzas with 50p's when we've got 3 cash points within about a 5 minute walk. I don't intend to be in that position again, "oh the humanity", first world problem etc. :lol: