Another little step towards a cashless society.

For all things financial
Deeps

Re: Another little step towards a cashless society.

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:Not being an economist it can be hard to get one's head around the world of finance. I've always taken a similar line to jansman in that I've tried to stay out of debt. I use a debit card but not a credit card , I saved the money plus a bit from my parents to buy my first house and when we brought our second we only had a small mortgage for around six months which we paid off when we sold the first house. We also put a substantial chunk into my SIL's house without a mortgage and now also own my parents house outright. All well and good one might think , 2 1/2 houses paid for , everything else paid for , vehicles belongings everything , no debts at all. However , an economist might see it differently. Debt is seen as an asset , debt backs up our monetary system in just the same way as gold used to and I've done precious little to increase that asset (on a system basis not personal ) whereas Deeps with his thousand debt on his card has in effect created wealth , albeit not for himself but for the system so very altruistic of him .
I'm a right good Samaritan me. :D

A lot of people have had to go into debt in one way or another, its not like borrowing money is a new thing although the process has got a lot easier and slicker. Depending on where you want to draw the line I owe thousands on mortgages and all to the evil banks and large financial institutions. People borrow money to set up businesses etc, we'll all have our own take on what's good for us.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

A similar thread on another form has discussed credit cards although on that forum the attitude is far more positive. One poster said that it's daft NOT to have one providing one is savvy enough to pay on time each month. On many there are bonuses to be gained , purchases on any credit card also provides insurance under Section 75 of the Sales of Goods Act on all purchases over £100 against non delivery or premature failure . Plus using one builds up a persons credit rating. As I've not got a CC or a mortgage means I've probably not got a very good credit rating although how that affects me if I'm not going to borrow anything escapes me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:A similar thread on another form has discussed credit cards although on that forum the attitude is far more positive. One poster said that it's daft NOT to have one providing one is savvy enough to pay on time each month. On many there are bonuses to be gained , purchases on any credit card also provides insurance under Section 75 of the Sales of Goods Act on all purchases over £100 against non delivery or premature failure . Plus using one builds up a persons credit rating. As I've not got a CC or a mortgage means I've probably not got a very good credit rating although how that affects me if I'm not going to borrow anything escapes me.
Years ago when I bought my old flat I went to a furniture store to buy a bed and a futon. I got knocked back for credit much to my amazement and the shop manager was good enough to let me know that the credit company they used had an office in Edinburgh and gave me the address and rang them for me to pop along. Because I didn't have a CC or was on the electoral roll (I was in the Forces and was moving around a lot at the time) I was an unknown quantity, even though I'd had a mortgage before with my ex wife. They were good enough to take me at face value and they approved it and the guy made a point of saying that now I was 'on the system' I wouldn't have this issue again. It struck me as nuts that the system gave more credit to a known bad debter as long as he made the cut as opposed to an unknown quantity but that's the system and like any system there are ways to play it. The system ain't perfect but its whats there, if you need credit in a hurry for whatever reason then a CC is very handy, its why I got one, yeah, I made a minor arse of it, repaid it and learned a lesson but it was well within 'acceptable levels', I was on a decent wage at the time and I've cleared and built up CC debt on a small scale ever since, sometimes through 'I want it NOW' and sometimes through necessity, personally I like the reassurance of having it but I can understand why others aren't keen.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

A few on here have asked why anyone would encourage a system that puts people out of work.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... s-Cashless
This article has a paragraph titled benefits of going cashless and it mentions an increase of $6.8 billion in revenue in New York . The same paragraph also mentions saving some 186 million hours in labour which reads to me "go cashless and sack people" .
As it is the article is another worrying little step.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

grenfell wrote:A few on here have asked why anyone would encourage a system that puts people out of work.
This article has a paragraph titled benefits of going cashless and it mentions an increase of $6.8 billion in revenue in New York . The same paragraph also mentions saving some 186 million hours in labour which reads to me "go cashless and sack people" .
What you have to ask yourself is where is all that saving going? Well when it's a bank or a huge supermarket chain, I'm pretty sure some fat cat will get much more bonus, we who are being sold on the convenience of cashless or self service checkouts will be doing the work of the people now out of work and they will be pocketing the saving as profit, it wont make anything cheaper, and if it did, at what cost to humanity?

Oh and the self service machines all parroting out the instructions in the same voice, I'm like argghhhh shut them up, or make them all have a different voice, celebrities would be good Imagine Sean Connery instructing you how to scan your items, or Tommy Cooper? My luck I'd get the Indian call center version and be arguing with it.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:
grenfell wrote:A few on here have asked why anyone would encourage a system that puts people out of work.
What you have to ask yourself is where is all that saving going? Well when it's a bank or a huge supermarket chain, I'm pretty sure some fat cat will get much more bonus, we who are being sold on the convenience of cashless or self service checkouts will be doing the work of the people now out of work and they will be pocketing the saving as profit, it wont make anything cheaper, and if it did, at what cost to humanity?

Oh and the self service machines all parroting out the instructions in the same voice, I'm like argghhhh shut them up, or make them all have a different voice, celebrities would be good Imagine Sean Connery instructing you how to scan your items, or Tommy Cooper? My luck I'd get the Indian call center version and be arguing with it.
Very off topic but do you know what time Sean Connery goes to Wimbledon ?

Tennish.

I'd want Pussy Galore mustering my messages. :)
criss71

Post by criss71 »

i have been thinking about this topic for a long time, where if the government creates a cashless society. which looks like the way it is going, using
lots of reasons i.e the amount of fraud bank notes ect.
if the shtf they would be able to get COG by controlling the food and water
plus just another way for the government to track your every move and every thing you ever buy

**** big brother lol
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

COG? Sorry to sound dim but is that continuity of government ? It's an acronym I hadn't come across and a google came up with that which seemed the most logical.

Deeps , Plymtom I quite like the idea of different voices but do also remember a bit of a fad for celebrity voices on satnavs that got old very quickly. Started off fun having Ozzie Osbourne say to take the next f*****g left turn but by the end of a journey got quite weary .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:COG? Sorry to sound dim but is that continuity of government ? It's an acronym I hadn't come across and a google came up with that which seemed the most logical.

Deeps , Plymtom I quite like the idea of different voices but do also remember a bit of a fad for celebrity voices on satnavs that got old very quickly. Started off fun having Ozzie Osbourne say to take the next f*****g left turn but by the end of a journey got quite weary .
How could you get fed up with this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQz-N1fh_LY
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I see a few comments of " annoying this would get" .