Another little step towards a cashless society.

For all things financial
Jamesey1981

Re: Another little step towards a cashless society.

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I changed the voice on my grandad's satnav to Brian Blessed, he didn't find it funny....
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

The recent advances in Crypto currencies, such as Bitcoin, would seem to be the logical next step in this "cashless society" thread.

If you believe the Crypto gurus and aficionados, then Crypto currencies are the way forward to achieve a democratic, decentralized, cashless monetary system, without any of the manipulation and control of central banks or governments.

Alternatively, there are those that say that the advance of the Crypto currencies is all part of Big Brothers plan to take us cashless, while still letting us believe that "WE", the people, are the ones actually in control. ;)

The next 12 months or so should shed more light as to which version is correct.

I personally hope that the Crypto currency revolution does happen and quickly, much like the internet spread around the world. Credit and Debit cards have prepared us for a brave new world and the next stage is to loose the actual plastic, physical cards and go over to everyone using their smart phones.

And if the power grid or internet goes down? Then it will be the same as for all Fiat currencies held in digital form, we will all revert to using paper and coin initially, at least for a short period, followed by trading in precious metals and other barter goods until things work themselves out.

Crypto currencies could be a very useful tool in the future and do offer some huge advantages if their intention and purpose are genuine. But we should all hold onto some cash, precious metals and other barter goods as well.

Like the internet revolution, its coming and there is little "WE" can do to stop it I reckon.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well,regarding crypto currencies,I will retain a healthy mistrust.I get so much e mail spam about bitcoin for instance that it is shaping up ( for me) to be one almighty scam.

Those who may use it with success, fair play to them.

Me? I will stick with cash,occasional debit card use and precious metal.The old adage," if you can't touch it,you don't own it" springs to mind.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Put me down as cynical about the whole bitcoin thing too, I've not really researched it but as Jansman says, the amount of spam sets alarm bells ringing. If society is pushed down a route then we'll adapt, I don't think we'll be seeing many diesel cars on the road in 10 years for example. I'll go with what the government are rolling out though and at the moment I'm happy enough with the cash/card mix. I was out in town on saturday, stuck an extra hundred quid in my prepping wallet, its about a 50 quid taxi home if I was stuck and I like to have the comfort of cash. Cards are brilliant for 99% of the time too although the restaurant we started in had a sign up that they were taking cash only and I had to sub a mate. We can only speculate on what would serve as currency if it all went seriously wrong and might well vary from early to late 'incident'.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

This week a Spanish bank trials imposing limits on cash transactions in branches to just a few hours each day.

https://wolfstreet.com/2017/11/25/spain ... -get-cash/
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote:This week a Spanish bank trials imposing limits on cash transactions in branches to just a few hours each day.

https://wolfstreet.com/2017/11/25/spain ... -get-cash/
As the link alludes to, it looks like a cost cutting exercise as much as anything. I know my 84 year old mum would struggle if she had to do all her banking through an ATM/online, maybe my generation would be more used to it at that age, dunno. If the world is heading that way then I guess we'll adapt, society changes, even if it ends up as something as 'cavemanish' as phone banking for those who can't manage machinery.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote:Well,regarding crypto currencies,I will retain a healthy mistrust.
I've read or tried reading about bitcoin and really can't see just where the value or worth comes from and that leads me to be , like yourself , weary that it just might be a scam. The huge amounts some say that are there to be made without really doing anything also sounds dodgy or at best a tulip bulb type of thing.
One thing I did come across while trying to educate myself was the amount of energy involved to create bitcoin .
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-2 ... ne-bitcoin
On one hand I can see how the value of that energy could translate into the value of the bitcoin but on the other it seems somewhat wasteful. Loaning money into exsistence as the banks do now is hardly ideal but at least it doesn't consume huge amounts of energy that could be otherwise put to use. Then on yet another hand governments can't print more bitcoin...
But then it needs a functioning internet and should something happen...

Going back to the cashless thing I was reading a piece in a decorating trade magazine about a survey by Plentific.com . It said that 46% of U.K. adults have paid a tradesman in cash although of those 56% are in the over 55 bracket and of those under 34 barely a third use cash. There were also regional variations , 54% of people in Liverpool have paid cash to a tradesman in contrast to 22% in Plymouth and Southampton and only 21% in Cardiff. Not by any measure a very complete survey but interesting nonetheless.
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

I find it difficult to feel sorry for these 'average families' for whom living standards are going to dive so low. There has never been a better time for anyone to boost their income and provide whatever standard of living they see fit for their family. We live in an age in which those traditionally seen as low skilled workers can make decent money. I don't have a single client who works in a 'trade' (spark, plumber, landscaper, etc) who earns less than what an accountant or solicitor would earn in their town.

At this time, we all make our own choices and all have the opportunity to reap the benefits of our labours. If people are happy to play the victim, and sit around in the evening watching TV whilst moaning about the quality of their life, that's not the fault of anyone but them.

We should also not forget that these people having such a hard time are probably wasting their lives watching a huge great flat screen TV, whilst playing a game on their iPad, and occasionally checking their social media profiles on their new iPhone. Sometimes I wonder how they find the time to be poor.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Wood cutter wrote:I find it difficult to feel sorry for these 'average families' for whom living standards are going to dive so low. There has never been a better time for anyone to boost their income and provide whatever standard of living they see fit for their family. We live in an age in which those traditionally seen as low skilled workers can make decent money. I don't have a single client who works in a 'trade' (spark, plumber, landscaper, etc) who earns less than what an accountant or solicitor would earn in their town.

At this time, we all make our own choices and all have the opportunity to reap the benefits of our labours. If people are happy to play the victim, and sit around in the evening watching TV whilst moaning about the quality of their life, that's not the fault of anyone but them.

We should also not forget that these people having such a hard time are probably wasting their lives watching a huge great flat screen TV, whilst playing a game on their iPad, and occasionally checking their social media profiles on their new iPhone. Sometimes I wonder how they find the time to be poor.
Bit of a sweeping generalisation and I'm pretty sure most time served sparkies, plumbers etc wouldn't appreciate being classified as 'low skilled'. 'Low skilled' tends to be in minimum wage gigs and PAYE and/or possibly on crap contracts including zero hours. Its not always easy especially with other commitments. Easy to generalise though.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote:
Wood cutter wrote:I find it difficult to feel sorry for these 'average families' for whom living standards are going to dive so low. There has never been a better time for anyone to boost their income and provide whatever standard of living they see fit for their family. We live in an age in which those traditionally seen as low skilled workers can make decent money. I don't have a single client who works in a 'trade' (spark, plumber, landscaper, etc) who earns less than what an accountant or solicitor would earn in their town.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation and I'm pretty sure most time served sparkies, plumbers etc wouldn't appreciate being classified as 'low skilled'. 'Low skilled' tends to be in minimum wage gigs and PAYE and/or possibly on crap contracts including zero hours. Its not always easy especially with other commitments. Easy to generalise though.
What Deeps said. Sweeping generalisation sprinkled with a hefty dollop of condescension and arrogance. As per usual!

Also, nothing to do with the OP which makes me wonder if our friend Woodcutter posts only to try and inflame a thread. Maybe we have a little Troll in our midst. :lol: