Another little step towards a cashless society.

For all things financial
jansman

Re: Another little step towards a cashless society.

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Karma - aka Comeuppance - lurks behind doors in our future and jumps out at us when we are least expecting it. Be careful, Woodcutter :twisted:
+1
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

Sorry guys, my bad. I admit, my post seems like off topic trolling. I had intended to post in the 'lowering living standards' thread. Apologies, I somehow managed to post in the wrong thread.

Makes me laugh though, so many of you accusing me of having no compassion, then jumping on me with all sorts of criticisms and lack of compassion for a fellow member rather than taking the time to find out why my obviously out of context post was made.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Wood cutter wrote:Sorry guys, my bad. I admit, my post seems like off topic trolling. I had intended to post in the 'lowering living standards' thread. Apologies, I somehow managed to post in the wrong thread.

Makes me laugh though, so many of you accusing me of having no compassion, then jumping on me with all sorts of criticisms and lack of compassion for a fellow member rather than taking the time to find out why my obviously out of context post was made.
You did read back what you typed though yeah? tbh it wouldn't matter what thread that was dropped in. The whole post dripped with condescension and a lack of empathy that quite honestly is concerning.

Is it the fault of the disabled parent that his/her living cost continually increase whilst benefits decrease? Have you ever sat around waiting for an agency to call and let you know that there is or isn't work for you that day? been on a zero hours contract?

It really isn't as black and white as you've stated, If you think every person who's struggling is "playing the victim" you need to get your head out your a**e mate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wood cutter wrote:Sorry guys, my bad. I admit, my post seems like off topic trolling. I had intended to post in the 'lowering living standards' thread. Apologies, I somehow managed to post in the wrong thread.

It was most certainly NOT out of context .You are obviously a wealthy person ( in financial terms,certainly not in humanity),and you need to find a little humility.Your attitude towards people less fortunate than yourself makes my skin crawl.You epitomise what unfortunate people have to deal with everyday just to survive.If you ever have to deal with the DWP through no fault of your own,remember our disdain of you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

omega man wrote:

You did read back what you typed though yeah? tbh it wouldn't matter what thread that was dropped in. The whole post dripped with condescension and a lack of empathy that quite honestly is concerning.

Is it the fault of the disabled parent that his/her living cost continually increase whilst benefits decrease? Have you ever sat around waiting for an agency to call and let you know that there is or isn't work for you that day? been on a zero hours contract?

It really isn't as black and white as you've stated, If you think every person who's struggling is "playing the victim" you need to get your head out your a**e mate.
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

without getting into politics it turns my stomach thinking what the gov and wealthy of this country think of the poor sick and hard working people. And what they are doing with benefits, NHS ect . This is one of the reasons i prep (one day we may be a cashless society, but not in the way they think)
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Wood cutter wrote:I find it difficult to feel sorry for these 'average families' for whom living standards are going to dive so low. There has never been a better time for anyone to boost their income and provide whatever standard of living they see fit for their family. We live in an age in which those traditionally seen as low skilled workers can make decent money. I don't have a single client who works in a 'trade' (spark, plumber, landscaper, etc) who earns less than what an accountant or solicitor would earn in their town.

At this time, we all make our own choices and all have the opportunity to reap the benefits of our labours. If people are happy to play the victim, and sit around in the evening watching TV whilst moaning about the quality of their life, that's not the fault of anyone but them.

We should also not forget that these people having such a hard time are probably wasting their lives watching a huge great flat screen TV, whilst playing a game on their iPad, and occasionally checking their social media profiles on their new iPhone. Sometimes I wonder how they find the time to be poor.

That was probably not put in the most sensitive way but........

There are quite a few people who do complain about their poor luck, low income and hard life etc. The main stream media often depict instances of low income families living on or close to "the bread line" but who are smoking and drinking.

I have one such person in my own family circle who I can relate this to directly. Often she cant keep up to date with her rent and borrows to buy weekly shopping, but she still smokes 20 cigs a day and often drinks a bottle wine a night as well. She has an Iphone 6 I think and a decent Samsung tablet, a sky tv package and uses a movie streaming service, buys mostly pre packaged food and her freezer is almost always empty.

It is the wastage that drives me mad, what she considers to be "essentials" in life are just a complete waste of money to me.

(Waiting for the backlash...... :| )
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Inflaming the situation again? Really?!? :evil:

Back on topic, please, otherwise this thread will be locked.

Come on folks, you know better than this.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Resisting joining "that" conversation & veering things on-topic again, I have to say that my OH drives me mad sometimes with her dislike (or whatever it is) of cash!

Just the other day she asked, in prep for battling with the Christmas decorations, if we had any superglue around. Knowing full-well that she'd only need it for a one-off use I suggested she popped into the very good little tool shop/chandlers that opened in town a few years ago - one of those traditional little shops that has a bit of just about everything & very rare to survive these days, never mind to open anew, and pick up a pack of single-use tubes so she'd have some for next time too.

Anyway, it's literally a 4 min walk from home, to which she responded "but then I'll have to get cash out", I'll just walk to Tesco instead.

I pointed out that she'd walk past no less than 4 cash machines between home & said shop, then walk past said shop for a further 3 mins or so to reach our local Tesco! By that time she'd started muttering about something else she wanted from Tesco anyway so I gave up.

So, in short, if she can't pay for it with her debit card, she just isn't interested! Time & again I've told her to keep a bit of cash in her purse for emergencies etc. but she has no interest whatsoever.

Until of course the times when she has no choice but to use cash, then she comes looking to me for it (because she KNOWS I always keep a bit handy).

Drives me mad!!!!!!

[Mad enough for me not to tell her that I had a couple of single-use tubes already in my stash but if she couldn't be @rsed then neither could I :-P ]

Me? Petty? :-D
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I might be out of touch but do shops take cards for really small purchases? From what I recall , at least at one time , the charges imposed by banks made it not worth accepting cards for a few pounds. Perhaps the banks have changed their charging ?