Stash in the house

For all things financial
Arzosah

Stash in the house

Post by Arzosah »

This is something I've been building up gradually ... there's some in the hotel bag (to be grabbed in case of a house fire) - notes to pay for a room, coins to use in vending machines, and I store my debit and credit cards in there if I'm in the house (which I usually am, as I work from home).

I also have some cash in a fireproof little cubbyhole in case of a problem with the banks. These days, its only added to when I get a Christmas present of cash from my mother. Its not as much as I'd *like* of course :mrgreen: but there we go :mrgreen:
BadgerSE

Re: Stash in the house

Post by BadgerSE »

Every prepper should have a secret stash in their abode! I'm a big, big promotor of secret hiding places and security tins and disguised items around the home. But then again I plan on bugging in when SHTF. (Bugging out is my contigency plan, if there are absolutely no other options available to me at my home).

Mine is in a locking dictionary-looking safety tin book on my book shelf. The trouble is I have 3 dictionaries and I can never remember which one I've hidden my stash in. :oops:

But I am the only person who knows what is it in that tin: It's part of my OPSEC conditions that nobody but me knows what is in there. Not even my missus knows.. She doesn't even know I have the safe, let alone the contents of it. :twisted:
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have a secret thingy, in a secret place, so secret that not only does nobody else know about it, I'm not even describing it on here :)

Seriously, though, yes - at least one secret cache would be a good idea. I've hidden stuff under a loose piece of carpet before now, and used a paper clip at the bottom of floor length curtains to hide a little stash between the curtain and the liner ... in my current house, I'm really not sure. Unless you're going for under the floorboards, it has to be:
- *not* anything portable that might get nicked in a break in.
- *not* anything predictable, like the underside of a shelf - thats in nearly every spy thriller I've ever watched ....
- a food tin, or an old book thats had its innards cut out can be a really good idea - as long as you remember *which* book, if you have to evacuate in a hurry for some reason or another.

You might have a fake stash, and have your real stash more deeply hidden. I have a fake handbag downstairs - I had a spare one going, and I just put lots of bits in there that might belong in a handbag - a purse, an old library card, a sample credit card from Capital One, I've just put a real card in there that belongs to an account thats now shut down, a book, some hand cream, the typical things that might be found in a handbag.

The thing is, most thieves are apparently opportunists, and won't stay in the house too long, so if they get the electronics and a handbag, they may well just scarper - I'm assuming I wouldn't be in, not anything thats still comparatively rare like a home invasion.
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

I do have some cash in the house. Some in notes and some in pound coins. Though I've heard pound coins change shape next year so I might need to spend them!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Bad Wombat wrote: ... I've heard pound coins change shape next year so I might need to spend them!
:mrgreen: thats an excuse :lol:

I'm pretty sure the banks will just swap over old for new. They better had, anyway!
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm crap at hiding stuff, never had enough money to stash in any case :lol: But to be honest sometimes I go searching through all our clutter ( or whatever you want to call it) just to remind myself where I've put things, I've looked on ebay for these hiding boxes like the aforementioned books... interesting stuff.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Buy one of those cheap bnq safes poorly fix somewhere obvious some bags of pennys in it
Hide valuable things else where let them nick the safe once they have that they will probably think they hit the jackpot and leave with it
junmist

Post by junmist »

I'd love to do this but I have no where to hide it and I have seen a place trashed by burglars beds up turned because people hide money under them chair cushions ripped apart because again that's where money can be hidden I have even seen wardrobes toppled over to check that there is nothing hidden behind them. And as much as I love you tube it doesn't help when they put videos out there like the ten best hiding places :twisted: I mean why tell people where to look
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

junmist wrote:I'd love to do this but I have no where to hide it and I have seen a place trashed by burglars beds up turned because people hide money under them chair cushions ripped apart because again that's where money can be hidden I have even seen wardrobes toppled over to check that there is nothing hidden behind them. And as much as I love you tube it doesn't help when they put videos out there like the ten best hiding places :twisted: I mean why tell people where to look

My thoughts exactly research youtube, here and wherever else you can look, then do something else :lol:

I'd reiterate my emphasis is on preventing entry, once inside, staying safe, last resort..... unpremeditated self defence however I can.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We deal mainly in cash and always keep money in the house. In this village (2 doz houses) a stray ant would be stopped and quizzed never mind a burglar. I used to have a friend married to a compulsive gambler and she had a list of really terrific hiding places... she had to, or he would take the rent money, the food money even the kids dinner money.