Precious metals

For all things financial
Toddie

Re: Precious metals

Post by Toddie »

Is there any difference in the types of coin you buy?

I understand you want .999 silver, but theres ones from Canada, Australia etc. Is it all just down to which ones you like the look of ?
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Toddie wrote:Is there any difference in the types of coin you buy?

I understand you want .999 silver, but theres ones from Canada, Australia etc. Is it all just down to which ones you like the look of ?
That's correct. I try to buy coins from the UK, purely for the reasons stated earlier. Because of that I might have to pay a bit more.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote:There is an industry in the third world based around ' mining' landfill and retrieving PMs in electronic circuit boards,silver being the major constituent.
There was a Victorian-era mine on my uncle's farm in Zimbabwe-that-was-Rhodesia, and retrieval methods have improved so much since then, even in a low tech place like rural Zim, that his whole stock of gold and silver consisted of going through the Victorian debris from the original mine.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

If everything tanks again we could get another silver spike, but its the long term value that I am interested in so I am in no hurry to get loads and I dont have the cash to get loads either
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
raz

Post by raz »

i found a safe and sensible way to get my family into PMs that might work for a few of the folks unsure about getting a few coins put aside.. this coin for weight is about 3 times more expensive than other silver ounce coins but holds the exact same value as what you paid.. it has an added bonus of being a 1st edition with only 100000 made so over time should increase in value for collectors and all else aside you have an ounce of silver that benefits from a rise in market price and is protected against a fall as its legal tender :)

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Britannia ... ilver_Coin
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

raz wrote:i found a safe and sensible way to get my family into PMs that might work for a few of the folks unsure about getting a few coins put aside.. this coin for weight is about 3 times more expensive than other silver ounce coins but holds the exact same value as what you paid.. it has an added bonus of being a 1st edition with only 100000 made so over time should increase in value for collectors and all else aside you have an ounce of silver that benefits from a rise in market price and is protected against a fall as its legal tender :)

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Britannia ... ilver_Coin
Not something I would do personally, but each to their own. If SHTF, and you've got 50 of the £50.00 coins stashed away, you might end up trading one away for a loaf of bread and two tins of beans - not really a lot of bang for your bucks. I'm sticking with 1oz and 1/2 oz silver coins. Plus, £50.00 is a lot to spend in one go, IMHO.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Has anyone bought off ebay? I was looking and found a couple of 1oz coins under £10. Also I didn't notice VAT charges. It looked good but I haven't used ebay in years so not sure if I'm missing something.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Lanky Yankee wrote:Has anyone bought off ebay? I was looking and found a couple of 1oz coins under £10. Also I didn't notice VAT charges. It looked good but I haven't used ebay in years so not sure if I'm missing something.
people like bullionbypost sell there, so yes you can get reputable deals and I also got some pre 1920s uk silver coins from there too.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Lanky Yankee wrote:Has anyone bought off ebay? I was looking and found a couple of 1oz coins under £10. Also I didn't notice VAT charges. It looked good but I haven't used ebay in years so not sure if I'm missing something.
Be very careful buying from fleabay. Jansman saw some1oz coins for under £10, They turned out to be silver plated replicas, but that little nugget was well hidden. However you can also get reputable dealers too, just need to be vigilant.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I wouldn't touch Ebay with a bargepole for anything post-1920 (and even then you could get stung). Caveat emptor, and all that. :mrgreen: