How does the stock market affect me?

For all things financial
jansman

How does the stock market affect me?

Post by jansman »

Market turmoil: How does it affect me?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35370554
Tidy little article here showing how a dodgy stock market can affect the ordinary chap and chapess.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Re: How does the stock market affect me?

Post by Brambles »

Interesting reading thanks J
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Good article, thanks for the link :)

But i think the best advice is right at the bottom: 'keep some cash spare'
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The first sentence is also amusing , "experts say don't panic" , but aren't those so called market experts the ones that are panicking ? China's still growing , the US is growing , India is growing , the UK is growing, Europe has growth albeit low , low interest rates cheap oil but panic selling has set in. Just another indicator that our economic system is well and truly boned and needs a complete overhaul and not just more BAU.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I agree. When 'they' say "don't panic" then that is the time to panic!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Like with everything else, I think the more you have then the more you have to lose. Bumbling along with your head down growing food, using cash, and being careful might limit the exposure and damage...
DarkAngel

Post by DarkAngel »

diamond lil wrote:Like with everything else, I think the more you have then the more you have to lose. Bumbling along with your head down growing food, using cash, and being careful might limit the exposure and damage...
Agreed, being sensible with your money and having a bit set aside wherever possible is going to be increasingly important. The biggest thing I worry about money wise is pensions, the retirement age keeps going up and pensions seem yobbe worth less each time. I'm a long way off retirement yet but I'm already looking at ways to put money aside other than my savings account. Investing in property is usually a fairly safe call.
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

DarkAngel wrote:
diamond lil wrote:Like with everything else, I think the more you have then the more you have to lose. Bumbling along with your head down growing food, using cash, and being careful might limit the exposure and damage...
Agreed, being sensible with your money and having a bit set aside wherever possible is going to be increasingly important. The biggest thing I worry about money wise is pensions, the retirement age keeps going up and pensions seem yobbe worth less each time. I'm a long way off retirement yet but I'm already looking at ways to put money aside other than my savings account. Investing in property is usually a fairly safe call.
Indeed. Like yourself I have another 35 years before I can retire and the government keep talking of raising retirement age because we are all living longer..

Needless to say my pension is getting smaller and in the long term it won't be as fat as my parent's/ grand-parents generation pension schemes. Eitherway I've got an ISA on the go and my partner and I have a joint savings account. We/ I don't have the money to invest in gold or silver bullion - which is where seems to be the safest long term investment you can make right now. (Aside from the housing market, but even then that can fluctuate dramatically from time to time, and again you need the money to invest in that area. Again, money I don't have).

The time to be scrupulous with your money more than ever is now.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BadgerSE wrote:
DarkAngel wrote:
Indeed. Like yourself I have another 35 years before I can retire and the government keep talking of raising retirement age because we are all living longer..

Needless to say my pension is getting smaller and in the long term it won't be as fat as my parent's/ grand-parents generation pension schemes. Eitherway I've got an ISA on the go and my partner and I have a joint savings account. We/ I don't have the money to invest in gold or silver bullion - which is where seems to be the safest long term investment you can make right now. (Aside from the housing market, but even then that can fluctuate dramatically from time to time, and again you need the money to invest in that area. Again, money I don't have).

The time to be scrupulous with your money more than ever is now.
There's a set age when the State pension kicks in but you don't have to work until you receive it. Easier said than done of course but if you can swing it you can retire whenever you can manage it.
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

The big problem is probably long term - stock markets rise and fall, and when they say things like 'it's at its lowest level since April 2015' you realise it's not actually that big a deal.

Seems that long term low oil prices are actually a good thing for the economy, but the market freaks about the likes of Shell taking a huge hit on profits, which will probably not concern most of us overly much.

Having said that, we are, not only in my view, past 'peak growth' and the world economy will be shrinking from now on. Stock market will never again be such an easy way of making/saving money.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/