How does the stock market affect me?

For all things financial
jansman

Re: How does the stock market affect me?

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:But please bear in mind that living in rented housing isn't exactly a life of dire poverty in a mud walled hovel :mrgreen: - and if you lose your job or get run over by a bus then the rent is paid for you.
Both my daughters rent. Its no big deal.Eldest just had a new gas boiler,no cost to her.nice house too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

diamond lil wrote:But please bear in mind that living in rented housing isn't exactly a life of dire poverty in a mud walled hovel :mrgreen: - and if you lose your job or get run over by a bus then the rent is paid for you.

Really? Who pays the rent? Not the government as housing benefit doesn't cover 1/4 of what you need and as far as "council tax relief" you don't get that kicking in for a long time so you still have to find the money. Experience shows me that if you lose work you are stuffed.

Who pays the rent????

You do.

Always have more money coming and never keep all your eggs in one basket. Store food because you will need something to live off when all the money that's coming in has to go on the bills.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

I was wondering about that bit?

I had not been informed that shelter was cost free in GB.

If that were the case it is a wonder there would be any home ownership at all unless it was rental property for obtaining the government checks.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mortblanc wrote:I was wondering about that bit?

I had not been informed that shelter was cost free in GB.

If that were the case it is a wonder there would be any home ownership at all unless it was rental property for obtaining the government checks.
Rent is paid for by Social Security ONLY if you fall on hard times, and is capped too. Contrary to what many of our American friends may think, you are pretty much on your own in the UK.

Many folks rent now, as the chance to buy is beyond the reach of many, my own children included. Prices have been pushed to stupid levels, mainly because of property speculation in London and the South East.This pushes well paid ( by comparison) people further North, who pay ever inflated prices that the locals cannot, because of the wage differential between London and the rest of our Country.

Please don't believe everything is free here. It ain't !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
harrybrown

Post by harrybrown »

Ive found a couple reliable source's of economic information & news that are very popular & honest

http://www.zerohedge.com/ ( no nonsense articles & data, which often exposes the establishment for being "less than honest")

http://www.financialjuice.com/news/ (great fo rup to th eminute info, tho slightly nerdy with data, but you soon get th ehang of it)

Hope this helps folks keep up to date with whats happening regards the economy, jobs & how best to manage our money
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the concequences of ignoring reality." ~ Ayn Rand.