Walkie Talkies

OpSec

Re: Walkie Talkies

Post by OpSec »

The best way to learn and pass the exam is to join your local amateur radio club - there are lots around the country. You'll get loads of good advice and be able to try out different radios before parting with your cash. There are books available to teach yourself the theory and a few good online training resources as well - it's pretty easy and you shouldn't have any problems passing. The biggest problem you'll face is that there are a few simple practical exercises that you need to complete before you can take the exam, they are really simple but they have to be signed off by an approved assessor, so again this is an advantage of joining a club even if you only stay long enough to get your first licence.

RSGB books that will help you are "Foundation Now" and "Exam Secrets".

Good online resources are Bredhurst Receiving and Transmitting Society (Brats) and Chelmsford Amateur Radio Club (find them on Google).

I think the most versatile and best Boafeng model is the UV-5R, good range, dual band, easy to program, plenty of add-ons if you want them

Good luck :)
Cheers
G5
Area 8

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from it's government ~ Thomas Paine
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

OpSec thanks, is it worth/necessary to buy the USB cable or will one I've already got maybe fit?
OpSec

Post by OpSec »

you may have one or be able to make one, essentially you are connecting the mic and earphone sockets on the radio to a Serial port on your computer, if you google it you may find the pin to pin details. I bought one off ebay for the convenience of having a USB connection and got the correct drivers on a disc with the cable, cost me less than a tenner and works fine.
Cheers
G5
Area 8

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from it's government ~ Thomas Paine
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

OK, I've been on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/UV-5R-Dual-Band ... escription) and realise I've got to buy at least 2 for a working two way system. They are £35 each and with the cables and other accessories comes to £99. Is this a good starter pack price to pay?
OpSec

Post by OpSec »

That's not a bad price for 2 dualband handies with all the cables and accessories you need. You would pay much more for a single radio from the likes of Icom or Yaesu.
Cheers
G5
Area 8

Bizz901

Post by Bizz901 »

I did the very same last year,looking around for a set of good long range and reasonably cheap walkie talkies. I ended up going on Amazon and buying midlands,they are 5 watt with a 36 mile range illegal in the uk since we're only aloud .5 watt without a licence but never stopped me. If I were you I'd go on eBay and by a baofeng hand held ham radio for £29 there also an longer antenna for £7.99 which I would recommend.this unit is also illegal without a licence but in a shtf scenario do you really care ? :)
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

What's the best way of avoiding problems when using a >0.5W 2 way radio? Is it a channel issue or can they detect activity on bands and hunt for a less busy channel?
munchh

Post by munchh »

what ever you are doing, just be aware of this....

"High Power use of PMR446
Ofcom drew attention to recent cases that were being pursued through the courts. Paul Jarvis will submit an article for RadCom to remind amateurs of the regulations in respect of PMR446."

Also some good reading here...

http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=42289
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

AN radio enthusiast who tried to illegally rule the airwaves has had his equipment seized.
Recorder Richard Sheldon gave him a four month prison sentence suspended for 18 months, an electronic curfew from 7pm to 7am for three months, and allowed OfCom to confiscate his van and radio equipment.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Presente ... story.html
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Lets just say if anyone was under the illusion that the airwaves were free to do what you like with and there was nobody listening, that is a very big illusion. :oops:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.