Two way radio batterys

patjunfa

Two way radio batterys

Post by patjunfa »

Hi all

New to these forums. One thing I've been considering is getting a number of two way radio (walkie talkies) for myself and some neighbors, for defense and other purposes we would still have good communication systems. However from what I pick up from the blurb, the batterys only may last a day. I still havent figured out my charging system for general such electrics if grid down (subject for another post). Has anyone experience with these or know of some that the charge would last for a number of days if not used much, so they would function if needing emergency contact, but not be onerous in needing some charge each day? Ones I had been looking at before were these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Olywiz-H ... lywiz+uv6s
As I say the battery issue is whats stopping me
I know they say they need a licence but after the SHTF I don't think a licence will be my main concern...

Thanks
Deeps

Re: Two way radio batterys

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, can you post a quick intro in the 'New Members Start Here' section.

Cheers.
unsure

Post by unsure »

patjunfa wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 pm Hi all

New to these forums. One thing I've been considering is getting a number of two way radio (walkie talkies) for myself and some neighbors, for defense and other purposes we would still have good communication systems. However from what I pick up from the blurb, the batterys only may last a day. I still havent figured out my charging system for general such electrics if grid down (subject for another post). Has anyone experience with these or know of some that the charge would last for a number of days if not used much, so they would function if needing emergency contact, but not be onerous in needing some charge each day? Ones I had been looking at before were these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Olywiz-H ... lywiz+uv6s
As I say the battery issue is whats stopping me
I know they say they need a licence but after the SHTF I don't think a licence will be my main concern...

Thanks

it may not be the best way , an invertor run a 12v battery would recharge them . and recharge the 12 volt with a small solar panel . maybe have a couple of 12v batteries on the go . use one and recharge the other
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you go with a known brand eg beofeng

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BaoFeng-UV-5R- ... B007HH6RR4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baofeng-Output ... er+baofeng

Just be aware to use them you need to hold a foundation Radio licence

Unless you plump for some pmr 1w handsets
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

If legalities are a worry them remember PMR is restricted to 500 mw (Half a watt).

Now if I was not bound by licence I would buy a few UV-5r radios and use them on the PMR section of the 70cms band, 16 channels now Ofcom have allocated another 8 channels.
I doubt the radios used on the lower power setting would make anyone aware you were using 4 times the erp allowed.
You can buy for about £10 a long life 2700 mA battery which I use on full power on VHF and it lasts about a week before needing to charge.
Don't underestimate the range of the Baofeng UV-5r, my best QSO was 38 miles and I get into the 2 meter repeater easily at 6 miles with a 5/9 report on the input.
The extended battery gives an additional option for a charging jack but Andy is right in his appraisal of solar as a means to charge them.
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
patjunfa

Post by patjunfa »

Does that long life 2700 mA battery fit the two way radio, or used to charge it? If it fits radio can you send a link please? A week is perfect.
My plan is to look into one of those solar and wind turbine combinations
Thanks for feedback
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

sticking to the OP,

Tthose radios will only listen for a whole day, you will not be able to broadcast for a whole day with them.

Personally i suggest the baogeng 888 as a simpler radio

To increase battery life is a simple, buy a spare battery, you can buy larger batteries for the uv5r and you can also buy AA battery compartment style baofung batteries and you can also buy battery svaery batteries for the 5rv as well these are clip on battery packs that have a 12 volt power lead connected to them.

look if your choosen radio can have a battery saver fitted to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Box-Ad ... 5r+battery

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baofeng-VPS-00 ... 5r+battery
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Radio com's will be important. I think it's easy to underestimate too just how much we may use one ,especially in respects of security monitoring and staying in contact.

It's useless turned off right !.

The 888 is the simplest option of radio as mentioned. True also is the fact the uv5 radios have a AA Or AAA battery case to use either primary or nihms.
The charger bases for the uv 5 can also be modified simple with voltage reducer on the power lead to work of a 12v battery so charging from such is simple.
This is one of my choice of radios too as for most.
Do some research on the AA battery cases,a small safety mod is recommended to save on shorting. These AA battery cases can also with small mod be converted to work from a 12v power supply, slip in a dc voltage reducer two wires from 12v source two wires out to pos neg on AA case and again using a multi test meter set out voltage at required v . Can't remember but was between 7/9 volts .this would be a good way to use the same radio as a base radio or out in a can via fag lighter adapter
YouTube has good guides on 12v charging mods fir 5r ,or running of 12v at base too.
Look at pigtail,tiger tail or counterpoise wire to increase signal rx tx of the radios too.nothing more that 18/19" wire grounded on radio for 2m .
The 12v adapters or battery eliminators are over voltage recommended , so again voltage reducing board can sort this.
Last edited by easy rider on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

These posts make realise how little I know about comms. :oops:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I would say ‘keep it simple’

- define what range you need: local comms between family and friends, versus wider ham radio stuff - the latter being beyond basic preps
- buy wallow-talkies that use normal batteries - I have a pile that use AAAs
- put rechargeable in them and keep them charged
- in a situation, have the means to charge batteries
- have a pile of non-rechargeables so you can keep in comms
- make sure the radios are compatible and preset them all to some random channel eg 2.22.a - chances of anyone clashing on a randomly encoded frequency is close to zero
- test regularly - I play fun games with the kids every few months!

Simple. Generic. Fungible. Test.