Baofengs

easy rider

Baofengs

Post by easy rider »

A little problem. I only use a kindle or phone to access net now so don't have a computer as such.
So my question is are these baofengs full operational when bought.
I keep reading 're programming so is this for more frequencies or channel favourite memories and repeaters only.
Or have they to be programmed to expand frequencies
Thank you
uivenger

Re: Baofengs

Post by uivenger »

depends on the model. a UV5r type can be programmed from the keypad, whereas a BF888s doesnt have a keypad so has to be programmed via computer.
Area 9 (Home Weekends)
Area 12 (Work Mon-Fri)
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

easy rider wrote:A little problem. I only use a kindle or phone to access net now so don't have a computer as such.
So my question is are these baofengs full operational when bought.
I keep reading 're programming so is this for more frequencies or channel favourite memories and repeaters only.
Or have they to be programmed to expand frequencies
Thank you
You can manually enter frequencies & store them on the UV5R, this includes the repeater offsets & CTCSS tones on both the 2m & 70cm bands that the radio covers, you can also include frequencies on the PMR & Marine portion of the bands, there are a number of videos on youtube explaining how to do it.

However it can be tedious & fiddly to do, but in your case without a computer it could be the only option.

Its much easier to download the chirp software & enter & edit frequencies on one page & then upload it to the the radio or multiple radios.

Alternatively if you paid a visit to a local ham club there may be someone there willing to upload their chirp frequencies into your radio for you.

Hope that helps a little.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

In reply to the question it is much easier to use a computer a cheap second-hand one will suffice. Chirp is a good programme to use and can be used on a Linux O/S so it can be as cheap as you want.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Hamradioop wrote:In reply to the question it is much easier to use a computer a cheap second-hand one will suffice. Chirp is a good programme to use and can be used on a Linux O/S so it can be as cheap as you want.
I use Chirp under Ubuntu Linux and apart from a fiddle or two to get it working it's doing the job, not only can you set the frequencies but you can also configure all the menu options and some options not on the menu.

Ask in your local computer/hacking shop for a cheap laptop, I managed to get an old IBM Thinkpad for £30 and they threw in some extra memory and a case.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Thank you all ,I may just give the baofeng a mis . No doubt a good little tool but I'm sure awkward to program manually if your not confidant or have computer to aid.
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

I guess it really depends what you intend to use the Baofeng for at the end of the day.

I have a Baofeng UV-5 and have not programmed it yet and may not ever do so. I just keep the local repeater and a few other frequencies of use written on a sticker on the back of my handset. Listening to my local community of HAM users is not very interesting as I cannot really understand the German language very well yet :lol: ...more I have the radio in case of SHTF scenario where I might need the radio to call for emergency help.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Intended use. I guess pretty much listening or shtf emergency use or contacting other .
Have no intentions of using one to transmit prior to shtf other than as I say monitoring ,getting used to the transceiver .

So can these be used for such without the programing then ?.
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Yes completely...no need to program if you do not want too.

Simply just key in frequencies on the keypad or scan the airways to pick up converstaions :)
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Excellent, got no problem scanning frequencies .
I always thought you needid to program frequencies in to it to work in first place.
So is the programing of frequencies for the 120 channel memory then.

Better get on an order one asap.
Thank you