Baofengs

Chemistry

Re: Baofengs

Post by Chemistry »

Yeah basically it has the capability to store 120 set frequencies, useful if you transmit I guess but if you just want to listen and scan then no need to delve into that.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Thank you for clearing that up.
I shall get on to this asap.

Could I just ask please if in the uk their is a dedicated frequencies for survivalist preppers and alike that if I could manually program I should consider.
oldman

Post by oldman »

easy rider wrote:Could I just ask please if in the uk their is a dedicated frequencies for survivalist preppers and alike that if I could manually program I should consider.
As far as I know there is no agreed frequency. These radios don't transmit much further than line of sight so if you are in a valley you can only transmit the length of the valley, hills, buildings and even wet trees will get in the way. These little Baofeng are only a 5W output, you may be able to pick up someone transmitting from miles away but if they have a 5000W rig into a +10db Yagi aerial on top of a 1000 foot high mast, you may be able to hear them but they are not going to receive your transmission as it will not get past the next wet tree.

A good frequency set up would be for your local repeater as this will boost your signal and someone is usually listening in on the repeater frequency so will help in an emergency. If you go on holiday you will need to know what local repeaters are in that area.

I hope this helps.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

There's been a lot of talk of amateur radio on here lately, and as I've meant to do it for years I've just booked on to one of the online courses that Essex hams offer for the foundation licence so hopefully I'll soon be joining your ranks.

Aside from anything else it'll be really handy when I'm next on dartmoor, phone signal is a little flaky in some parts and another method of communicating is a sensible idea, even if no hams are in range I would bet the MOD will be listening in!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Jamesey1981 wrote:There's been a lot of talk of amateur radio on here lately, and as I've meant to do it for years I've just booked on to one of the online courses that Essex hams offer for the foundation licence so hopefully I'll soon be joining your ranks.
I'm half way though doing the Essex Hams foundation. It's a good course so far and I'm trying to find somewhere to do the practical.
Jamesey1981 wrote:Aside from anything else it'll be really handy when I'm next on dartmoor, phone signal is a little flaky in some parts and another method of communicating is a sensible idea, even if no hams are in range I would bet the MOD will be listening in!
I doubt any of us are going to ever need to radio for help, we're too well prepared. Having the licence means that if SHTF it will not be the first time I've used the radio. TBH I'm just looking forward to being able to chat if I'm board.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

You can be as well prepared as you like but if you're hiking alone (as I often do) and you slip and pop an ankle in an area with no phone signal then that's the time to call for help, being well prepared in that case is being able to call for assistance and having enough kit and knowledge to still be in a reasonable state when it arrives.

I see what you're getting at though, I'm pretty careful, and I probably won't ever have to send an emergency call, but I still wouldn't take my boat out without a working radio so one more method of communication that I can use when I'm pratting around in more remote areas is a good thing.
And yeah, part of it is also so that I can use it if I'm bored on a trip.

I have fallen into an invisible bog that wasn't marked on the map before as well, only came up to my knees so I could scramble out but that could have been a nasty one, there's various ways you can self rescue in a situation like that but if you're in deep enough you're not getting out without help.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Jamesey1981 wrote:You can be as well prepared as you like but if you're hiking alone (as I often do) and you slip and pop an ankle in an area with no phone signal then that's the time to call for help, being well prepared in that case is being able to call for assistance and having enough kit and knowledge to still be in a reasonable state when it arrives.

I see what you're getting at though, I'm pretty careful, and I probably won't ever have to send an emergency call, but I still wouldn't take my boat out without a working radio so one more method of communication that I can use when I'm pratting around in more remote areas is a good thing.
And yeah, part of it is also so that I can use it if I'm bored on a trip.

I have fallen into an invisible bog that wasn't marked on the map before as well, only came up to my knees so I could scramble out but that could have been a nasty one, there's various ways you can self rescue in a situation like that but if you're in deep enough you're not getting out without help.
I agree, I have two disabled adults here so if there is an emergency and the 'phones are out a radio will be my first port of call. I want to use mine before an emergency as there are far too many buttons for a panic situation.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

That's exactly my thoughts on it, a method of communication is only any use if you know how to use it to communicate, and you might well be able to figure it out without training on a normal day but if you need an ambulance NOW then that's a whole different thing.

The guy that did my marine radio training (he was a lifeboatman as well as an RYA instructor) said that if he had ever received a perfectly structured and worded mayday that was exactly as it should be in the textbook then he would have been wondering if it was real!
oldman

Post by oldman »

Jamesey1981 wrote:That's exactly my thoughts on it, a method of communication is only any use if you know how to use it to communicate, and you might well be able to figure it out without training on a normal day but if you need an ambulance NOW then that's a whole different thing.

The guy that did my marine radio training (he was a lifeboatman as well as an RYA instructor) said that if he had ever received a perfectly structured and worded mayday that was exactly as it should be in the textbook then he would have been wondering if it was real!
Now you reminded me of this ... https://youtu.be/rD4roXEY8hk
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Some great facts and info here thank you for sharing it.
They have a big limitation then with no repeater close enough if line of sight is broken by hill or simular.
Do any of you knowledgeable users of ham know if theirs a suitable home made wire antenna that could greatly improve range for based use .at home.
Initially listening but should the situation arise shtf would also carry my signal further.
I'm presuming 2 m and 70 coverage would be wise