Looking for CB Beginner info

sion_1990

Looking for CB Beginner info

Post by sion_1990 »

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a good place for some beginner information on CB radios. It's been recommended that I fit a CB in my vehicle (keep getting it stuck in the mud lol) and I'd like to learn some basics so that I can make a good purchase, and so that I don't p*** off other CB users.

any recommendations for good learning materials (and indeed good radio etiquette and good beginner equipment) are welcome.
unsure

Re: Looking for CB Beginner info

Post by unsure »

here you go , take a look at these starter sets .

http://www.cb-shack.co.uk/cb-radio-starter-kits/
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I'm 54 and back in the day I think we got our inspiration from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVh179oXFao

Only speaking with a American survivalist friend of mine two days ago about this, he reliably tells me they still talk like that on CB in bama.

If I were you and I wasn't bothered about time fitting my radio every day or the radio getting nicked I'd go for one of the AM/FM/SSB CBs that are now legal in the UK, costly but you will find hams that can work on 11 meters with the kit we use. So as many survivalists use ham radio it may better add a notch to your own comms preps having info filter from the amateur bands onto 11 meters

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Crt one n version. Look up simonthewizzard crt one channel expansion. Plenty reviews on these too
Great radios lots of channels tiny too.
Mates have them in 4x ,longer antennas are better, do a propped fit in vehicle and ensure low swr .plenty youtube vids on fitting and swr adjustment.
Sirio make great antennas .3000,4000,5000 ,les wallen modulator all good. Stay clear of Springer stingers
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

What wulfshead said for a base radio crt ss 6900, alinco 135, or ss 9900 plenty variants about .
sion_1990

Post by sion_1990 »

great cheers guys. Want to permanently mount it in the vehicle and it not be "too" obvious, so size will be a factor. I like the idea of those SSB radios, might be a little out of my price range though.

think a bit of youtube will be needed on my lunch break :)
piglet

Post by piglet »

sion_1990 wrote:great cheers guys. Want to permanently mount it in the vehicle and it not be "too" obvious, so size will be a factor. I like the idea of those SSB radios, might be a little out of my price range though.

think a bit of youtube will be needed on my lunch break :)
In the past I have installed mine into...........

The glove compartment
Or...
facing upwards in the driver door pocket/shelf.
Or...
Again facing upwards, just behind the centre arm rest module.

Depending on which offered the most space in the particular vehicle I was driving at the time.
ain't settlin'
sion_1990

Post by sion_1990 »

the driver door pocket is a good shout, I hadn't thought about that. Nice and discreet, and I never use it... perfect :)
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Sion,
If you want an easy to hide CB for not a fortune then I'd go to Amazon and take a look at the Albrecht AE-6110.
Basically it's AM/FM and so very small, it also comes in just under £50.
I've seen the test equipment video of this radio and it's very very good.
Apparently it has a very clean reception side which does not suffer from inter-mode, the transmit is very true without adverse deviation.
To be honest I am thinking of buying one of these for my vehicle set-up as I think they are a steal for the money and more bands is better than not having 11 meters for SHTF.

Audio test between two station at circa 10 miles apart;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfggbzQP9Q

Bench test on the scope;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZ8_gCQ1T8

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
sion_1990

Post by sion_1990 »

blimey, that thing would fit in my ashtray...