Digital verses analog radio

keithb

Re: Digital verses analog radio

Post by keithb »

Thanks for that link - very interesting document.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Stick with analogue for now DAB signals are dire on the move. Until they the authorities get their act together, you are constantly losing stations on the move.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I love this topic - one cannot repeat it enough times. :D

I have the Degan solar/wind up one. It's the best radio ever (for me). It works in the day, even on a cloudy day, just through the solar panel and has really good reception. I've bought three of them and I'm going to buy another for my dad. It's a radio that I'd recommend to my nan. If she was alive.

Of course, if you buy one, there is always a build quality issue with Chinese stuff, but because I've got three and not had a problem I'm confident in it. You should also be aware that the battery that is in it is lithium and will go bad eventually. Meaning the winder won't hold charge. However, I have mostly stuck the three aaa eneloops into it for daily use, so I recommend doing the same and leaving the lithium battery unplugged from the connection... This way it's prepared for long term storage and increases the likelihood that it will work when you need it.

I'm in the market now for a micro radio - something with a loud speaker that's tiny (about the mass of a credit card would be ideal) and also is solar, windable or takes an aaa battery. Anyone got any ideas?

It also needs to be said that you shouldn't underestimate the choice of your mobile phone. There are some android models that still have a fairly decent FM radio built in, like my Song Z5 Compact. Don't buy an iPhone - they're literally the worst prepper mobile choice ever.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Also, regarding digital, I don't know much, but to be honest, my experience is they're utter balls. Give me analogue any day in a crisis. Don't rule out internet radio on your phone, it's a useful resource if you have 4G or wifi.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

dangerman wrote:Also, regarding digital, I don't know much, but to be honest, my experience is they're utter balls. Give me analogue any day in a crisis. Don't rule out internet radio on your phone, it's a useful resource if you have 4G or wifi.
I was under the impression that phone masts have power running of the standard grid.. so in a SHTF situation WiFi would not work as your home router would have no power, and the mobile network would also be down (as I say, could be wrong about the mobile network masks).

I have two radios - for Bug In I have a standard battery MW/FM/LW radio (LW for keeping up to date should there be overseas broadcasts) and a solar/wind-up AM/FM radio in my BOB

EDITED - Computer Weekly seems to agree....
UK businesses could be vulnerable to failures of the mobile phone network during power failures like those that affected the US and Canada recently.

Businesses that rely on cell-based mobile networks to communicate with field workers could find themselves cut off in as little as two hours if power cuts hit mobile cell base stations.

In North America last month mobile phone networks began to degrade as base station batteries ran down following cuts that plunged the states on the east coast into darkness.

Ovum analyst Richard Dineen said, "This is a warning to look through provisions for disaster recovery in your mobile phone contracts.

"The mobile phone is being increasingly seen as a primary communications device. But it is not a first line service - it is not guaranteed under regulations to provide that same levels of service as the fixed network. People have become reliant on mobile telephony but it has limitations."

RAC IT director Trevor Didcock said his company was protected to some extent as it has the use of two separate mobile networks, though these are both cell-based and therefore vulnerable.

"There would be two impacts of such an outage on us. Customers would be less able to contact us. People rely on their mobiles and there's not a lot we can do about that."

l As Computer Weekly went to press power outages inLondon affected several million people. While cell back-up was not stretched by the 35-minute power cut, many people reported mobile networks being inaccessible due to overloading.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I would not rely on a mobile phone for those reasons , The only ones with Generators are the Backbone ones.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Sarah-Kate

Post by Sarah-Kate »

Hi all,

Really appreciate al the input. I have decided to go with the Degen de13 for now. Whilst bearing in mind there are possible future options like cb.

SK
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

I use a Eton scorpion to which i use my smaller solar panel attached to it, works a treat especially when I'm in the garden or wherever. but i cheat and keep it topped up via the usb port on the telly
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Consider me for the sake of debate a person who knows little of radio, we have some walkie talkies and obviously the obligatory prepper wind up radio/torch :lol: but having not been out and about much know little of what is out there on radio which would be of practical use these days, I remember I used to tune in to the local one "Plymouth sound" back in the day if there was a weather event as it became a godsend as to how bad the traffic was getting after more than a dozen snow flakes :lol: My point is what is out there, what is the best source for news? My taste in music for the most part is rock so when the car interrupts my Mix CD for a travel announcement I can tell that I would have difficulty tolerating the music they play locally, I've also been more annoyed by chat radio which much like the local rag seems to attract the sort of person with blinkered, and/or divisive views from across the spectrum that can have you reaching for the lump hammer ;) I have tried my little wind up thing frequently and can tell I need something better, but once I have something what do I tune in to?

Back decades ago when rewiring houses I did encounter a few ham radio users with aerials in their gardens, enthusiastically telling us how they could talk with people all over the place, bear in mind I was much younger we are talking 70s and 80s mostly, so don't be offended please but the contact seemed random, and the chances of the individual being the sort of character that preppers are stereotyped as these days was high along with whoever they managed to contact or so it seemed to me and my social circles at the time, it is and remains also very technical equipment talk, I'm no technophobe but I find myself almost completely at a loss to understand the gear talk of the subject which is why I dip my toe in here with what's out there what can I listen to, to get an idea of what's going on, two way ( or more ) communication is not my initial intent, I can see it's use, but also as the carer in times when it would be useful I'd be too busy to tie myself to a radio set, so until now I've avoided the subject entirely :|
Last edited by Plymtom on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

personally I like BBC radio 4 shipping forecast, for the weather and local stations, when in the car with the TP on

I would assume, which is silly I know, that the powers to be when it goes a bit crazy would broad cast on the BBC frequencies and after that, if it really does go a bit downhill, may be some local people with limited kit might start something.

Bit of a suck it and see scenario.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea