Baofeng GT3-MK2

ian2509

Baofeng GT3-MK2

Post by ian2509 »

Hi all, new to this forum not much posting done yet.
Just wanted your thoughts with regards to the baofeng GT3MK2 vs the UV5 models. I can see the UV5 is very popular with many of you and wandered why so when the price difference is only £4 or so depending where you buy. I have the GT3-MK2 and have to say its a fantastic bit of kit. I am very impressed with its range and battery life, I have on order a whip 15" antena to further increase its capabilities. I live in area 6 so I appreciate this is ideal terrain for comms of this type due to the flat lowlands. What are the differences? I am considering purchasing an after market 3800mah battery to boost its life, although this will increase its size as the battery is bigger im happy to make that sacrifice as it will still fit in the viper pouch I have. Thanks in advance for any replys,
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"
Cougar

Re: Baofeng GT3-MK2

Post by Cougar »

From what I can see on the Baofeng comparison chart https://baofengtech.com/compare it shares the same board as the UV5 and has the same spec. Is there something you believe makes it a better choice? Thanks
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Might help shed some light on things

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... i+vs+uv-5r

soz cannot read it myself too busy right now

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Ian2509,
If that new antenna is a Nagoya NA771 then it will make the radio a load better. However, make sure it's a real Nagoya and not a fake.
I use my UV-5R with the Nagoya771 and I can hit the Wickhambrook repeater and have a reasonable QSO from my QTH 38 miles away, something the stock antenna would not allow. I do have a good high location mind.
I also use the extended life battery and I have the radio on all week without a need to charge it. Obviously TX-ing drains the battery but you got more there to keep you on air.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack