What radio meets my need's

andysolo

What radio meets my need's

Post by andysolo »

Hi there I'm hoping someone who know a little about radio communications so can help me out. I thought instead of me asking lot's of questions, I would explain what I need a radio for and someone can then point me in right direction. So my job requires me to be away from home everyday, I usually travel somewhere between 5 miles to 50 miles to get to my job for the day. Generally speaking I'm not in same location ever day but max distance I travel is about 50 miles. My partner is at home most of time during the week. What I'm looking for is radio that will allow me to communicate with her if I can not use my mobile phone. It would also be helpful if you could let me know if me and my partner I going have to sit an exam and also a big help if my radio would be able be charged from 12 volt source so can use the cigarette plug in my van. Any help be much appreciated thanks
Briggs 2.0

Re: What radio meets my need's

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Maybe check out your local amateur radio club and you'll find people who are willing to share their knowledge and get you and maybe your partner through the foundation exam. The stuff you'll learn on the foundation course will actually go some way to guiding you to answer your own question about what radio suits your needs.

From what you've described, some may suggest an FT817ND but out the box that will be unlikely to do what you want. The radio is one thing, but I'd say it's just as important to be able to deploy the right antenna and that's where the knowledge you'll get on the course will help.

If you're thinking of a sub £50 handheld radio, no. The range is less than 10 miles line of sight and to extend that range via the 2m/70cm repeater network you need your foundation licence. In a public SHTF situation, I'd plan for the repeater network to go down at the same time as the mobile phone network which is why I'd recommend the course and then consider an FT817 or something similar.

To give you an idea of what's possible when you have a licence, I'm near to J27 M5 at the moment. With my 817 on 5watt power and the standard rubber antenna, I can reach the GB3WR and GB3EX repeaters. That's about 15 miles. The repeaters do just that, they pass on my signal to a wider area and on GB3WR I've just been in contact with another ham in Newport and that's way over 30miles. That sounds great but that's only working because I'm on top of a small hill. If I go 100m down the road it doesn't work due to the hill blocking the VHF signal. I could string a wire up over a tree or along a fence and switch to HF....this is where the knowledge from the RSGB courses comes into good use. I really recommend going along to your local club.

Briggs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
andysolo

Post by andysolo »

Thank you Briggs this just what I needed. Just googled some radio clubs in my area unfortunately 2 local club's to me meet on Monday what no good for me, have to keep on looking for now. First time I've heard about a repeater did not realise that some radio's work like that. While I'm still looking for club do you have any good book recommendations I could read to learn a bit more. Thanks again.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Amazon. Look for Foundation Licence Now. It's £4.99 and that's all you need in order to study for the licence. In the same series is a revision book filled with sample questions. Happy reading!!

Briggs
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Appin

Post by Appin »

Couple of points.

You actual radio needs are "interesting". The range you get depends heavily on location. A 2 metre radio signal might be heard only a few miles away if you are in valley or heavily wooded area. Stand on a hill top and you go further. use a simple hand transceiver with its standard antenna and you will not get far. Attach it to a magnetic antenna on your car roof and you will get further. So how far is a difficult question. In THEORY you can get a long way

Repeaters are not really an option for a crisis as they are usually mains power supply dependent.

Attached is a computer generated estimate for 2M coverage from a high point on the M62 between Liverpool and Manchester. From that point I reached N Wales 40 km away using 5 Watt handheld but with a car roof antenna. On the other hand I can struggle to reach across the town where I live.

You don't need to be in an amateur radio cub to get an radio amateur licence.

Unsurprisingly a lot of club members "meet" by radio.

There are courses often run at weekends. the Foundation licence is usually a one weekend affair and is reckoned by most to be manageable by virtually anyone. If your XYL ( wife) is unsure the group who taught me had got an 11 yr old and an over 80 yr old through. It is a safety and how to do basics course. ( Do not worry about the Morse that really is the easy bit you can use a crib sheet and go slowly).

Course finder https://thersgb.org/services/coursefinder/

Intermediate is a bit more techy but is heavily practical ( once you get to this level you can assemble your own transmitter kits).

Look on the RSGB website for courses.

As suggested get a copy of "Foundation Licence Now". Learn that and that is all you need for Foundation Theory. The course will give the basic practical skills and the exam at the end.

No communication system is perfect and radio has real issues but Foundation licence opens up possibilities.

Regards

Appin
Attachments
2 metre band coverage from Sutton Park near M 62.jpg
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Is CB radio an option?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Brambles wrote:Is CB radio an option?
Not reliably over that distance unless you were using a fairly hefty linear amplifier and had a decent aerial. Entirely possible on a good day depending on terrain though.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

preparedsurrey wrote:
Brambles wrote:Is CB radio an option?
Not reliably over that distance unless you were using a fairly hefty linear amplifier and had a decent aerial. Entirely possible on a good day depending on terrain though.
Thanks
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Forgot to add that using an amplifier on a CB means you are not legal for use in the UK
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm just dipping a toe in atm which is why I'm asking, single side band seems to be gaining in popularity now it has been legalised.