What radio meets my need's

preparedsurrey

Re: What radio meets my need's

Post by preparedsurrey »

My CB's are old so no side bands for me, apart from on ch19 I seldom hear anybody else unfortunately people now seem to just continue chatting on 19 rather than switching to another channel blocking it for everybody else. Amplifiers + power/ echo mics seem to be the norm for the home base users (or they live in a cave on top of a mountain:) )

I see quite a lot of 4x4s and grab/ skip wagons with a CB aerial but not much else on the road.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
HBP

Post by HBP »

andysolo wrote:Hi there I'm hoping someone who know a little about radio communications so can help me out. I thought instead of me asking lot's of questions, I would explain what I need a radio for and someone can then point me in right direction. So my job requires me to be away from home everyday, I usually travel somewhere between 5 miles to 50 miles to get to my job for the day. Generally speaking I'm not in same location ever day but max distance I travel is about 50 miles. My partner is at home most of time during the week. What I'm looking for is radio that will allow me to communicate with her if I can not use my mobile phone. It would also be helpful if you could let me know if me and my partner I going have to sit an exam and also a big help if my radio would be able be charged from 12 volt source so can use the cigarette plug in my van. Any help be much appreciated thanks

The problem you have is that due to the laws of physics, you are in a difficult window at 50 miles.

The cheap UHF handhelds that are license free can cover a mile or so

VHF commercial or ham radio will do 50 miles between hill tops but are quickly blocked by terrain and reduced in range.

Mobile CB is a similar situation.

HF (shortwave) will do long distances but not easily do short distances especially if mobile.

This is something the military has struggled with for years.

To have reliable comms out to 50 miles in mixed terrain you are really left with 2 options:

1. VHF via a repeater that extends you range by retransmitting your signal from somewhere high up.
2. HF NVIS which is basically bouncing a signal of the atmosphere donut goes straight up and down covering a wide area. This is how the military do it but it needs a big antenna to work. You often see US humvees with a big whip bent from front to back of the vehicle.

Realistically, Either of these two options require everyone involved to have a ham radio license.

I hope that helps.

HB
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

HBP wrote:
andysolo wrote:Hi there I'm hoping someone who know a little about radio communications so can help me out. I thought instead of me asking lot's of questions, I would explain what I need a radio for and someone can then point me in right direction. So my job requires me to be away from home everyday, I usually travel somewhere between 5 miles to 50 miles to get to my job for the day. Generally speaking I'm not in same location ever day but max distance I travel is about 50 miles. My partner is at home most of time during the week. What I'm looking for is radio that will allow me to communicate with her if I can not use my mobile phone. It would also be helpful if you could let me know if me and my partner I going have to sit an exam and also a big help if my radio would be able be charged from 12 volt source so can use the cigarette plug in my van. Any help be much appreciated thanks

The problem you have is that due to the laws of physics, you are in a difficult window at 50 miles.

The cheap UHF handhelds that are license free can cover a mile or so

VHF commercial or ham radio will do 50 miles between hill tops but are quickly blocked by terrain and reduced in range.

Mobile CB is a similar situation.

HF (shortwave) will do long distances but not easily do short distances especially if mobile.

This is something the military has struggled with for years.

To have reliable comms out to 50 miles in mixed terrain you are really left with 2 options:

1. VHF via a repeater that extends you range by retransmitting your signal from somewhere high up.
2. HF NVIS which is basically bouncing a signal of the atmosphere donut goes straight up and down covering a wide area. This is how the military do it but it needs a big antenna to work. You often see US humvees with a big whip bent from front to back of the vehicle.

Realistically, Either of these two options require everyone involved to have a ham radio license.

I hope that helps.

HB
You've gotta love a bit of refraction. Or satcom but I suppose that's a bit unrealistic for your common or garden prepper. There's always 'sporadic E' but you're clutching. I'm not a ham so not in a position to advise but as you say HBP its a tricky distance unless you've got access to high points for LOS. Most 'radio guys' have got stories of contacting the far side of the black stump on half a watt (I do too :D ) but its not a certainty.

Its just my take but I think some people have watched films and take it for granted that if you've got a radio you can talk to pretty much anyone and while its not the black art that it was its not quite so simple as it seems on film. I'll pull my head in now because the last comms thread I got involved in I slagged off clansman radios and I seemed to be in the minority.

Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I suspect that you will be looking at a HF Radio and an NVIS antenna to work that distance reliably but no guareentees, I strongly recommend you look into taking a foundation Level Amateur Radio Exam, as this will equip you with a licence to practice with. here is a link that may be of use https://thersgb.org/services/coursefinder/ I would also point out tat a well known Ham radio Emporium also run courses in staines.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Oi, Deeps. You should know better. The first and only rule of radio is do not diss the clansman radio. (If that's not already a question on the Foundation Course, it should be).

I was going to suggest an RT320 with the 3m whip would cover 50miles LOS on HF quite well but I didn't want the OP googling RT320, seeing all those knobs and having a prepping relapse. That's why I went for the politically correct but very boring suggestion of an FT817 :-)
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Oi, Deeps. You should know better. The first and only rule of radio is do not diss the clansman radio. (If that's not already a question on the Foundation Course, it should be).

I was going to suggest an RT320 with the 3m whip would cover 50miles LOS on HF quite well but I didn't want the OP googling RT320, seeing all those knobs and having a prepping relapse. That's why I went for the politically correct but very boring suggestion of an FT817 :-)
Mea culpa

andysolo

Post by andysolo »

Thanks for all the replies some really usefully information for newbie like myself. I've just made some enquiries into local radio club not far from me so hoping to make it to there next meeting. I'm going take foundation course first and then investigate a bit more into radio that meets my need's. Going to try and cut down the distance the radio need's work at, going work out the average distance I'm away from home instead maximum worst case. In the meantime I've also been making up a contact list of friend's and family number's and email. It may be case in situation I can not contact my wife directly, I can rely a message though them. Thanks again ;)
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Brambles wrote:Is CB radio an option?
CB is a joke really, best to go off and get your Foundation License. I like 'QRP', using the least power to transmit the farthest. I use a Yaesu FT817ND, its small, low powered but with a good antenna I've worked all over the world...the antenna is the vital link in the chain; you can have the biggest and best radio in the world but with a crap antenna you'll get nowhere.

If you choose to become a radio ham, please respect their rules, procedures and protocols.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
HBP

Post by HBP »

rik_uk3 wrote:
CB is a joke really, best to go off and get your Foundation License.
Don't knock it too much, it has its place. Its license free and now it legally includes SSB it's got potential. Admittedly, with the lack of activity from the sun at the moment, propagation ain't great. However, plenty of illegal users have talked round the world with it over the years with minor mods and big antennas.

I still have some CB gear alongside my ham/marine/commercial kit.

Having said that, now the foundation license is available there is no excuse not to do amateur radio. Not like the good old days of th RAE :-)
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

HBP wrote:
rik_uk3 wrote:
CB is a joke really, best to go off and get your Foundation License.
Don't knock it too much, it has its place. Its license free and now it legally includes SSB it's got potential. Admittedly, with the lack of activity from the sun at the moment, propagation ain't great. However, plenty of illegal users have talked round the world with it over the years with minor mods and big antennas.

I still have some CB gear alongside my ham/marine/commercial kit.

Having said that, now the foundation license is available there is no excuse not to do amateur radio. Not like the good old days of th RAE :-)
My ts-430 will let me listen to 11 meter but not TX on that band. I believe there is a mod to fix this and it would add to the RF side of my comms preps without buying more stuff for my shack. My ATU would work on my 10 meter dipole to get the best out of 11 meter ssb.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack