BaoFeng UV-5R (Marine band)

Alloneword

BaoFeng UV-5R (Marine band)

Post by Alloneword »

I hate to admit it but i think i will give one of these a bash next, and before i do i just want to make sure i have things right in my head.

If i buy the USB cable and the free "Chirp" software, can this be modded to work on full UK marine band freq, so what i want in an ideal world is not to have to punch in the freq all the time but do it by channel numbers, so for example channel 18 the ship tx is 156.900 and the base station tx is 161.500 both NFM, will i be able to just punch in ch18 and hear both the ship and base station on that same channel, off course presuming i'm in range?

As it stands now on my Yupi 7100 i can only input a single freq into memory ch 18, does this makes sence to you guys?

Also an other bits i should look at buying, antenna, car charger etc

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
Wingfoot

Re: BaoFeng UV-5R (Marine band)

Post by Wingfoot »

You can only save one frequency per channel but the radio has a dual monitoring function that allows you to monitor two channels at once (press menu, 7) both are displayed on screen & you can also choose between displaying the frequencies or names if you program it with chirp, that should do what you want.

The radio will easily cover the frequencies you mention, as for accessories you may find the bigger battery handy, it gives longer operating time & makes the radio feel better in the hand, also some adapters that allow the radio to be connected to vehicle or bigger base antennas with either bnc or pl259 fittings are very usefull & certainly expand the capability of the radio.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Hamradioop

Re: BaoFeng UV-5R (Marine band)

Post by Hamradioop »

Alloneword wrote:I hate to admit it but i think i will give one of these a bash next, and before i do i just want to make sure i have things right in my head.

If i buy the USB cable and the free "Chirp" software, can this be modded to work on full UK marine band freq, so what i want in an ideal world is not to have to punch in the freq all the time but do it by channel numbers, so for example channel 18 the ship tx is 156.900 and the base station tx is 161.500 both NFM, will i be able to just punch in ch18 and hear both the ship and base station on that same channel, off course presuming i'm in range?

As it stands now on my Yupi 7100 i can only input a single freq into memory ch 18, does this makes sence to you guys?

Also an other bits i should look at buying, antenna, car charger etc

All1
Alone word the Baofeng will cover those frequencies very straight forward in the software.you program the TX frequency and the RX frequency separately on the same channel. It is how the Ham repeaters wok with a 600khz difference between RX and TX. The software looks like a spreadsheet. The biggest problem I had programming the Radio was that the Latest Drivers from Prolific will not work with my programming lead, I had to load some older drivers. then all was fine. I use Baofeng's own software and not chirp.

screenshot of chirp
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.