New Homebase

TheOldHObbit

New Homebase

Post by TheOldHObbit »

I have been away from radio (CB) for over 30 years and my good wife has decided to look into prepping. I have always believed that comms are a very important part of anyone's kit should there be a need and I have used her new hobby as an excuse to get back into radio. I have just recently set myself up with a SS3900N AM FM SSB and a Sirio Gain Master home base antenna. What used to be the legal UK FM is so quiet the only life out there is on propagation SSB. Got talking to a chap in Romania two days ago and the Yanks are booming in at the moment. I may consider taking my foundation next year but at the moment I am enjoying playing on the available channels.
Last edited by TheOldHObbit on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filsgreen

Re: New Homebase

Post by filsgreen »

Go for it Gary, I've got my two weekend course at southport in a weeks time. There's plenty of help on the Internet, including the free Essex ham radio course which I've just completed.

Phil
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Thanks Phil. Good luck and I will have to find out from you just what was involved.

Take care

Gary
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

I'm sure Wingfoot will be along soon to give his account of doing the Foundation course. However, there are plenty of members who have already contributed to the amateur radio topic.

Phil
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

filsgreen wrote:I'm sure Wingfoot will be along soon to give his account of doing the Foundation course. However, there are plenty of members who have already contributed to the amateur radio topic.

Phil

As Phil says there are plenty of experienced radio operators on here, I'm still a relative newcomer to radio but learning something new every day, check out the other threads in the "comms" section, I posted a few times about my recent foundation course experience, but I found a lot of good advice from hamradioop & briggs to name just a couple as well as posts by a few others, thanks to all of you for those wise words. ;)

Get yourself a copy of the "foundation now" book, its only about £4.99, it covers everything you need to know for the course & the exam, read it before & again while on the course, I also did the essex ham online version prior to doing it for real at my local club, as Phil says its quite helpful in gaining yourself a head start with the material.

Have fun with the radio which ever route you choose.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

Wingfoot wrote:
filsgreen wrote:I'm sure Wingfoot will be along soon to give his account of doing the Foundation course. However, there are plenty of members who have already contributed to the amateur radio topic.

Phil

As Phil says there are plenty of experienced radio operators on here, I'm still a relative newcomer to radio but learning something new every day, check out the other threads in the "comms" section, I posted a few times about my recent foundation course experience, but I found a lot of good advice from hamradioop & briggs to name just a couple as well as posts by a few others, thanks to all of you for those wise words. ;)

Get yourself a copy of the "foundation now" book, its only about £4.99, it covers everything you need to know for the course & the exam, read it before & again while on the course, I also did the essex ham online version prior to doing it for real at my local club, as Phil says its quite helpful in gaining yourself a head start with the material.

Have fun with the radio which ever route you choose.

Wf
I would just like to point out that the syllabus has changed slightly, please make sure that the book you purchase is the LATEST one for the course that you are taking.

This was sent to our club:
Examinations held on or after 1 October 2015 will be to the licence conditions as set out by Ofcom following the
January/February 2015 Notice of Proposal to Vary a Wireless Telegraphy Act Licence
The Examinations will also be set according to the 2015 Band Plan for the 14MHz (20m) and 144MHz (2m) bands.
The Reference Data Booklets provided in the examination will be updated to reflect those changes.

Also it may be sometime before the training books are updated by the authors as RSGB have many in stock.

But your trainers should have the right handouts to give you to put in your training books with the updated information on them that you need.

Remember that they are there to help you pass, not fail.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I clicked on this thread thinking you were going to mention that a new Homebase store opened and you saw some good deals.

I'll just be moving on ....
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Toddie wrote:I clicked on this thread thinking you were going to mention that a new Homebase store opened and you saw some good deals.

I'll just be moving on ....