Home made cb antenna mount any tips

Yorkshire Andy

Home made cb antenna mount any tips

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Looking to make my own cb mount antenna mount to fit my cars roof rack point (rivnut inside door jamb)

Got thunderpole cable and antenna base

Planning on using stainless steel sheet and mounting a thunderpole base to it

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/fixed-body ... t-kit.html

Is there anything I need to consider when I make it?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
The-Mendologist

Re: Home made cb antenna mount any tips

Post by The-Mendologist »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Looking to make my own cb mount antenna mount to fit my cars roof rack point (rivnut inside door jamb)

Got thunderpole cable and antenna base

Planning on using stainless steel sheet and mounting a thunderpole base to it

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/fixed-body ... t-kit.html

Is there anything I need to consider when I make it?
Make sure the metal is strong/thick enough to take the forces applied to it when doing 70mph and its fixed to the car firmly, also make sure the rivnuts are going to be able to handle the forces applied to them too as well as having a good electrical connection ( earth ) to the car, otherwise you may find your VSWR is all over the place.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a magmount!

I have seen just one roof bar used and that had the same connection as the one you have got right in the middle.

I have the roofbar option and a spare wheel carrier type on Suzi but a huge trimag style mount on Jessie, all homebrew as they say.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I have a mag mount but know its going to muller the paint work over winter (modern car paints dont like moisture been trapped as it absorbs into the clear coat and goes cloudy)

im getting a crap swr with a big mag mount so thought i might as well try a decent conductive ground plane

the riv nut should be strong enough since its what the roof bar secures into (i hope)

made a bracket tonight but forgot to add the depth of the 90 degree Bnc style plug to the base so it needs to be about 10mm longer to clear the car roof.....

then im going to rubber back the side that goes near the car body and flash the outward face with primer and car paint so it blends in....

iirc its 1.25mm thick stainless its solid enough and took one 4.5" cutting disc to cut it and some fancy colbolt drills to drill the 12mm hole for the antenna base :shock:

The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:I have a mag mount but know its going to muller the paint work over winter (modern car paints dont like moisture been trapped as it absorbs into the clear coat and goes cloudy)

im getting a crap swr with a big mag mount so thought i might as well try a decent conductive ground plane

the riv nut should be strong enough since its what the roof bar secures into (i hope)

made a bracket tonight but forgot to add the depth of the 90 degree Bnc style plug to the base so it needs to be about 10mm longer to clear the car roof.....

then im going to rubber back the side that goes near the car body and flash the outward face with primer and car paint so it blends in....

iirc its 1.25mm thick stainless its solid enough and took one 4.5" cutting disc to cut it and some fancy colbolt drills to drill the 12mm hole for the antenna base :shock:
Looks good from here.

As you well know that these things that are homebrew as we say are trial and error.

It's a bit of a bugger you didn't add that extra 10mm for clearance after all that hard work you put into making it. I worked in the filling capping and labeling industry years ago and that was all production line stuff which was all stainless steel so i know how hard the stuff is to drill cut and form, was going through drill bits left right and centre as well as new taps every fourth hole, so i feel your pain.

As for the magmount, there must be an issue with it as they are mornally good on the VSWR.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Make sure it is earth bounded to the chassis of the car other wise the SWR and Polar patter will be compromised.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hamradioop wrote:Make sure it is earth bounded to the chassis of the car other wise the SWR and Polar patter will be compromised.

In simple terms does that mean its got good electrical continuity between the Ariel base and the cars chassis?

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got it made tonight all drilled test fitted just painted it so its on the bench drying in the workshop.......

Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Hamradioop wrote:Make sure it is earth bounded to the chassis of the car other wise the SWR and Polar patter will be compromised.

In simple terms does that mean its got good electrical continuity between the Ariel base and the cars chassis?
yes. the polar pattern is the pattern the rf will take from the aerial as it would be distorted and not omnidirectional as is best suited to a mobile. a centre roof mount will always give the best pattern.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.