Baofeng UV-5R

The-Mendologist

Re: Baofeng UV-5R

Post by The-Mendologist »

filsgreen wrote:Thanks for your advice M. Have you had any planning issues with the council regarding the height?

Phil
No issues.

The 10m vertical antenna behind it is even higher and the OCF windom is even higher than that.

I suppose if you dont upset the status quo, no one will object. Do you know and get on with your neighbours? Thats the main thing as they are likely to be the ones who complain.

There is a rule that if any antenna has been up for more than 6 years ( i think ) they really cannot say much, then if they do just call the RSGB and they will help you fight your case, but don't worry about that part of it at the moment.
What you need to do is go and scout around your local area and see if anyone else has antennas up in their garden or on the side of their house, it will give you some indication as to whether your local council are ok with this sort of thing.
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Will do, thanks.

Phil
HBP

Post by HBP »

filsgreen wrote:Thank you all for your invaluable advice, may I impose on you a little more? My station is going to be in a shed in the garden, it is only 25 feet from the house. I'm thinking of attaching a 15 foot post to the end of the shed and attaching an aerial to it. However, the aerial will still not be above the roof line of the houses around it, plus another house is less than 25 feet away from it. I live not far from a railway and the docks are only a mile further on, to make things worse we are only 10 metres above sea level. Even if I were to put the aerial on the gable end of my house, it would only be 10 metres above ground, am I flogging a dead horse? l
Any antenna outside will be a huge improvement over the antenna attached to a hand held radio.

I have a roll up wire jpole attached to my handheld that sits on my office desk. The antenna is indoors but is an improvement over the attached antenna. If I attach it to something outside, even if its only at shed roof height, its a big improvement over the indoor antenna.

When it comes to antennas you idealy want them outside and high up. If you can get both, thats great but if you are concenred about the neighbours complainaing, get it out but below roof heigh and you will still see an improvement.

If you really want to minimise its visual impact, spray it brown/green and the hide it in the tree. If you get something like an x50 its just over a metre long. If its tree coloured and made to look like part of the tree, it will go unnoticed.

Just be aware that if you start pulling big signals into some of the cheaper chinese radios, the reciever can get overloaded. I have a UV-B5 that sometimes struggles when strong signals are close by.
commandosqueak

Post by commandosqueak »

Its a fantastic radio, my friend has one and put me on to it. Mine arrived today and so far i am impressed. Just need to do my licence now. just bear in mind the connector for the antenna is a reverse SMA. unless designed specifically for this radio you will need and adapter (as i have now found out).
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

Hamradioop wrote:Yes that is an excellent entry rig to Ham Radio. I have one as do many others here.
I would also buy the programming cable and down load chirp to program it http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download
I have noticed with some of these radios advertised they offer disc and the wire is this any different to the download you speak of?
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

northern bloke wrote:
Hamradioop wrote:Yes that is an excellent entry rig to Ham Radio. I have one as do many others here.
I would also buy the programming cable and down load chirp to program it http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download
I have noticed with some of these radios advertised they offer disc and the wire is this any different to the download you speak of?
Most of the reviews recommend chirp to program with.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'm not affiliated to Martin Lynch in anyway, I'm just on their emailing list. I noticed they are punting a rugged, water resistant smartphone with a 70cm two way radio function. I'd imagine it would be handy if you wanted both to hand in an emergency. I've not fully checked the spec but it appears the 70cm power output is 1Watt, although I stand to be corrected. I was tempted to get one for when I'm out and about on the moors but the 1Watt of power and the lack of 70cm repeaters near me is making me think twice.

Anyway, it might be for you. www.hamradio.co.uk. MyDEL Hamfone Smartphone Transceiver.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

The-Mendologist wrote:Yes, good little radios for the price, i have two UV5RC's.
Be mindful that they are only 2M & 70CM's on FM, but you can also program in PMR 446 and they also work on marine freqs too, as i live near the river i also listen in on the VTS too.
I live next to the Mersey - could I use one just to listen in? Ham radio users don't seem too happy about unlicensed people using them even if it's just as a receiver so it seems.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

dangerman wrote: I live next to the Mersey - could I use one just to listen in?
Yes you can, no law against using one just to listen, that way if you decide to get a licence in the future you will already have the radio.

I did just that, after using my UV-5R to listen in around my area, I then found a club & took the foundation course.

Get one, for the money you can't go wrong.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Yep, that's the plan. I really want to get in on the radio thing. It's a good little thing to have and learn about, plus it's fun to use when visiting places around the country when camping or whatever.

Does it have the weather band on it? I believe there is a weather station that updates weather 24/7.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.