Baofeng UV-5R

HBP

Re: Baofeng UV-5R

Post by HBP »

BadgerSE wrote:Needless to say I've signed up with an amateur radio course.
That should very quickly answer the "which frequency" question. You can find some local Ham repeater frequencies here http://www.ukrepeater.net/

Welcome to the club.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

I have found radio to be a very interesting avenue to explore & I'm pleased to read others are exploring it too, thanks in the most part to these good value baofengs.

I have become increasingly involved with the S.O.T.A (summits on the air) side of the hobby, it encompases my liking for hill walking & the new found interest in radio.

From a prepping perspective I also feel that learning how to operate the equipment in a portable "out in the field" environment is a worthwhile endeavour.

Good luck to all the new radio amateurs in this thread, hope to get to talk to you sometime.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

BadgerSE wrote:I've got my Baofeng UV-5R and I've seen loads of youtube and self help websites but I am still non the wiser on how to use the damn thing. All it makes is a loud white noise sound. If I turn off the squelch then I loose my signal bars. :cry: I can't even work out how to use CHIRP (I've managed to get the com port to work though). I have no idea what frequency I should be on or anything. Needless to say I've signed up with an amateur radio course.
BadgerSE, you have done exactly the right thing, get in the mix with like minded people who have a better understanding of your new found interest. I can honestly say I completely empathise with you in terms of making that breakthrough in programming and understanding the Baofeng, but you will suddenly find that one thing will fall into place and the others will start to make sense.

I found this guys videos very educational and easy to follow, so give him a view and see how it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p661r-wDYHc

I have also downloaded an app on my phone called Repeaterbook, which will search out all the relevant repeaters in a 25 mile radius of your position and give you the TX/RX frequencies, the tone, the offset and direction of offset. Dont worry if that sounds like gobbledy gook, it will make better sense when you see it. Once you have a local repeater programmed, you will start to hear local traffic, hopefully!!

Mr WT is a fountain of knowledge, and I hope he wont mind me recommending him, but he has been very helpful and supportive to new users. Any questions will be responded too and great advice.

Good luck and I watch with interest to see how your progression improves. ;)
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

Thanks for all your help the people that have commented on my posts. I like to get hands on, even if sometimes I am initially out of my depth! :lol:

Slow and steady wins the race and all that..
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Guys here is something you may find interesting.

This site gives a list of ham radio receivers from around the world that effectively live stream the signals they receive into the Web & can be accessed from the url's provided.

My nearest one is the old nuclear bunker at Hack Green in Cheshire which is around 29 miles north of me & if I transmit on 2M from home with my Baofeng I can see my signal on the "Waterfall" display :-)

Pick a site & open its URL link then select a band from the ones offered, then use the slider across the bottom of the signal waterfall to find hams operating.

On the HF bands it can be very busy especially 40M.
Listen out for callsigns & if you want to know where they are in the world look them up on QRZ.

http://websdr.org/

https://www.qrz.com/lookup
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Well I have only gone and passed my Foundation......... Onwards and upwards. I am now planning to build a powerpack and radio into a half size Pelicase as a grab and go. It will of course have a roll up slim jim antenna as its main antenna but also a smaller whip. Time to play peeps :D Oh I forgot what thread I was on Doh!! So to keep it on subject, I will also keep a couple of Baofeng 5r5's in the case also. 73
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

TheOldHObbit wrote:Well I have only gone and passed my Foundation......... Onwards and upwards. I am now planning to build a powerpack and radio into a half size Pelicase as a grab and go. It will of course have a roll up slim jim antenna as its main antenna but also a smaller whip. Time to play peeps :D Oh I forgot what thread I was on Doh!! So to keep it on subject, I will also keep a couple of Baofeng 5r5's in the case also. 73

Congratulations on passing the foundation course, enjoy the hobby.

Wf
Appin

Post by Appin »

Congratulations.

Try for the Intermediate.

A bit more power if you pass and the course is heavily practical.

Wingfoot Given that location do you show up on http://www.cheshiresdr.co.uk/ which is based near Chester?

I used to work near Hack Green years ago. It was not well known and initially I assumed the signs saying "This way to the Secret Nuclear Bunker" were either a joke or some kind of night club.

Appin
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Appin wrote:Congratulations.

Try for the Intermediate.

A bit more power if you pass and the course is heavily practical.

Wingfoot Given that location do you show up on http://www.cheshiresdr.co.uk/ which is based near Chester?

I used to work near Hack Green years ago. It was not well known and initially I assumed the signs saying "This way to the Secret Nuclear Bunker" were either a joke or some kind of night club.

Appin
Thank you, can't say it was easy but great to get it under my belt. My club are already talking about the intermediate so I think the pressure is on :). Now to start looking for a new radio, but the antenna is going to be a problem. I cant string a wire so it looks like a vertical will be needed, although some say they are not too bad. Looking forward now to getting my callsign and once thats done, HF here I come.

Many Thanks

G
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Wingfoot wrote:
TheOldHObbit wrote:Well I have only gone and passed my Foundation......... Onwards and upwards. I am now planning to build a powerpack and radio into a half size Pelicase as a grab and go. It will of course have a roll up slim jim antenna as its main antenna but also a smaller whip. Time to play peeps :D Oh I forgot what thread I was on Doh!! So to keep it on subject, I will also keep a couple of Baofeng 5r5's in the case also. 73

Congratulations on passing the foundation course, enjoy the hobby.

Wf
Appreciate the comment. When I have my c/s I will post it up and who knows, may have a QSO. 73