Foundation course

filsgreen

Foundation course

Post by filsgreen »

Well I've dithered long enough with CB radio and have decided to get my foundation license. I'm doing it long distance, Essex Ham are kindly running the course free of charge, but you can make a donation.

http://www.essexham.co.uk/foundation-online

I've bought the "Foundation Now", which is a guide to the foundation license, it costs £5 and have found a website entitled "Hamtest".

http://www.hamtests.co.uk/

This site gives you mock exams and allows you to test yourself.

There's lots of free stuff out there to help you pass, so there is no reason not to. The only problem will be the examination; I've got to ask a club to test me and the nearest one is 15 miles from me, and that's providing they will do it. Is anyone else planning to do it or can give me some tips and pointers?

Phil
Appin

Re: Foundation course

Post by Appin »

Hi Phil,

You give a Liverpool location. As an alternative look at this group. http://www.wararc.co.uk/training-course ... --widnes-/

I know it is a bit of a distance from you but they do the whole foundation course including assessments in one weekend. Cost is not bad. You do the exam on the Sunday afternoon and get an instant heads up as to your result.

Oh and don't worry about the Morse assessment they make it so straightforward you need not worry.

Appin
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Hi Phil

I've just completed the Essex ham on - line course & it's well worth doing.

I used it as a precursor to doing the course at a more local club to me.

I start that next week & it's done over a few weeks, should have my callsign by the end of September or early in October so long as I pass.

Good luck with your course.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Derv

Post by Derv »

Thanks for the hamtests link, that will be pretty useful.
I've got my foundation course starting next month in bath :o so hopefully will get my ticket in October.
Guinness drinker with a prepping problem.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Hi,
The guy behind Essex Ham is a personal friend of mine, the bloke lives and breaths radio and works very hard to keep the radio active.
I did my M6 with the good chap as part of my teaching team and I give Pete a thumbs up every time.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A wee ode to hams,

She was only the radio hams daugher,
buts she diddit, diddit, diddit,
and her dah dah diddit too.

I'll get me coat. :D
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Hi wulfshead, top marks to Pete; I only contacted him yesterday afternoon and he had replied by 7pm last night. He's now booked me on the course for September. Thanks for you suggestion Appin; I'll probably use Warrington if I can't get tested independently. It's good to see that others have used Essex Ham to further their education.

Phil
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Wulfshead wrote:Hi,
The guy behind Essex Ham is a personal friend of mine, the bloke lives and breaths radio and works very hard to keep the radio active.
I did my M6 with the good chap as part of my teaching team and I give Pete a thumbs up every time.

Wulfshead
I will second Wulfshead's comments, Pete was most helpful & attentive throughout the course & always responded swiftly to questions or feedback, I would like to thank him & his small team who put together the course, as I found it invaluable.

Anyone thinking of doing a foundation course should seriously consider signing up with essex ham, they are very helpful & genuinely want to help people into radio.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Hi Wingfoot. How did you go on with the practical side of the exam? Was the theory side of it explained so that you could do the practical test without being physically shown how to do it?

Phil
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

If you visit my clubs website

http://www.brats-qth.org

And click on the top right link, that says online training.

There is loads of stuff on there to be used as a training aid to help you out.

As for the practicles, you will be helped through them as the trainers do not want you to fail either.