Established My Base Station Today.

Wingfoot

Re: Established My Base Station Today.

Post by Wingfoot »

Hi Phil

Ive done two evenings so far, the club where I am now a member run the course over six weeks, just a couple of hours each time on a Tuesday during the regular club evening.

The last night session is actually the first tuesday in October with the exam the following night (Wednesday) the 7th.

So ill let you know how it goes :D

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Ok Wingfoot; I thought that it would be over a couple of weekend days as mine is. Good luck.

Phil
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Just an update to this thread, I passed the exam on 14th October after it was delayed by a week, but all went well. :D

Now that I have my M6 callsign I've been working a few distant repeaters over the past couple of days just to see how far I can get on VHF/UHF, from my location using the very basic rig I have. (Boafeng UV-5R & Diamond X50 Antenna)

To the North & West I'm getting into North Wales & Liverpool via GB3CR, also into Buxton & the surrounding Peak District via GB3HH which also touches parts of Manchester as well as Burton on Trent.

To the North & East I am also able to reach in to Derby & Mansfield via GB3DY & Leicester via GB3CF.

I can also access a couple of repeaters in Birmingham but they are a little scratchy, GB3CB & GB3GB & Stourbridge via GB3KC.

The Southern path is somewhat blocked by the Clee hills & I will need to work on this area more to determine the full extent of the range I have in that direction, but all in all Im very pleased what is available to me currently.

Once I get an HF set I expect to really "get out there" but for now I have good local coverage. :D

Wf
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Sounds good WF, did you put the Xp50 up yourself or did you get a contractor?

Phil
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

filsgreen wrote:Sounds good WF, did you put the Xp50 up yourself or did you get a contractor?

Phil
Hi Phil

I had help from a builder friend of mine & advice from his friend who is an aerial/satalite tv fitter.

Fitting the brackets is not that hard, but you really do need help when it comes time to lift the antenna & it's pole as you bolt it to the brackets, holding everything up while trying to get things to line up, all while keeping your balance on the ladder, needs more then one pair of hands. :x

Wf