2M/70CM ROLL UP J-POLE/SLIM JIM ANTENNA

HBP

Re: 2M/70CM ROLL UP J-POLE/SLIM JIM ANTENNA

Post by HBP »

TheOldHObbit wrote: I am unable to trip a 2mtr repeater 17 miles away with either the stock antenna or a 15" third party one, but when I put the slim jim up on a 5 mtr fishing pole it trips the repeater no problem. A great addition to the Baofeng comms bag and look forward to TXing when I get my Foundation.
So you are not TXing but you can trip the repeater ;)

Any antenna will be better than the stock antennas and event the extra long whips are not a big improvement. Adding a 1/4 wave rattail/counterpoise http://www.hamuniverse.com/htantennamod.html to the whip can help but a slimjim with a few extra db of gain on a 5m pole will be a massive step up in performance. So much so, you may find the front end of the reciever being overloaded by strong signals.
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

HBP wrote:
TheOldHObbit wrote: I am unable to trip a 2mtr repeater 17 miles away with either the stock antenna or a 15" third party one, but when I put the slim jim up on a 5 mtr fishing pole it trips the repeater no problem. A great addition to the Baofeng comms bag and look forward to TXing when I get my Foundation.
So you are not TXing but you can trip the repeater ;)

Any antenna will be better than the stock antennas and event the extra long whips are not a big improvement. Adding a 1/4 wave rattail/counterpoise http://www.hamuniverse.com/htantennamod.html to the whip can help but a slimjim with a few extra db of gain on a 5m pole will be a massive step up in performance. So much so, you may find the front end of the reciever being overloaded by strong signals.
As if...... ;) I had a licenced user put in a test call 8-) Tonight is my first visit to my local club and I know that they have regular talks and demo's on different antenna types so I am hoping not only to take my foundation, but learn bits and pieces on the way. My nearest and dearest has agreed that on the successful completion of my foundation I can go out and order a http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Di ... EFEA2217E4 so my little Baofengs will be put away for portable use only. I have however heard enough over the past couple of weeks on them to encourage me to carry on with my ticket.
nelsonantennas

Post by nelsonantennas »

Post deleted by moderator.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Si vis pacem, para bellum
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Post deleted by moderator
nelsonantennas

Post by nelsonantennas »

Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Nice one Shane, I bet that will keep the shack warm with that kind of output ! :D

Should make pushing a signal over the pond into europe or the other way down under an easy trip.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the build, I'm not yet able to build such things but I am studying for the next level of licence here.

Cheers
Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

Man that is some build. I won't pretend to understand half of what you are doing, but I certainly wish you well with it and let's hope it works.
nelsonantennas

Post by nelsonantennas »

TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

:lol: Guess I'll PM you, it would appear to be more considerate. However, as a Prepper, and I understand that is what this site is all about, radio communication is one thing that people will underestimate if the SHTF. I am a little more prepared now with the kit I now carry in terms of radio and accessories, so for all those who have advised or assisted in my collection of kit, thank you.