Call-sign matrix / list

Happy-jack

Call-sign matrix / list

Post by Happy-jack »

Hi
Just having a nosy through the comms section is there a list of peoples call-signs on here or do people go all out on the their comms if / when the SHTF ??
If there isn't it might make sense for one to be put up that's if people are ok with establishing comms

practice makes perfect !!

PPPPPPP !!!!
Rearfang

Re: Call-sign matrix / list

Post by Rearfang »

Due to opsec not many will post a call sign as it could be looked up on qrz .com giving a address
Appin

Post by Appin »

Have to agree with Rearfang.

I have an amateur radio callsign and that is published by Ofcom. I was advised to allow this as if someone tries to pirate your call-sign other hams will spot the location discrepancy. however that means your call-sign gives your address.

I wish to keep my anonymity so there is no published link between my on-line id and my call-sign.

Sorry but Opsec first.

Appin
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Rearfang wrote:Due to opsec not many will post a call sign as it could be looked up on qrz .com giving a address

I've spent some time on QRZ recently & it's not a good idea to register a callsign on there, I certainly don't intend to register mine when I get it.

I've noticed a high number of so called unmanaged registrations that show people's addresses & I'm left wondering how they got put up on site if there listed as unmanaged ?

Are the folks running the site able to simply add people's details to the site by accessing some ofcom licence list ?

Maybe some of you guys with ham licences already can shed more light on the subject ?

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Unlike the American FCC, OFCOM does not publish a list of UK licence holders, which is why you have to opt into the call book, who ever gave you that advice about piracy was a fool, the RSGB call book is a burglars dream list in my view. Piracy has very little effect on you well being where as a burglary has potential life changing effects. I with held my details and have never regretted it..
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

My call sign is not published in the RSGB yearbook as i asked not to be.

Even on my QRZ page it only has my first name and my area of location.

OPSEC yes :D
Happy-jack

Post by Happy-jack »

Hi Guys

Just been away for a few weeks some interesting reply's and a little bit of information from some pilot types at work.

OPSEC is a priority for all, If the SHTF I will turn ,tune in and play it by ear ( as they say )
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

The-Mendologist wrote:My call sign is not published in the RSGB yearbook as i asked not to be.

Even on my QRZ page it only has my first name and my area of location.

OPSEC yes :D
Those of us that got our M6 calls earlier this year run into a bit of a problem with the folks at QRZ.
There in the new registrations was the need to make an initial post with your 'full address' before they would approve your entry.
Of course once you are in there was the 'Edit details' option but I noticed quite a few still had not got round to editing the full addresses.
I am one of those so I better just get my mojo working and remove my full address and just leave my name and town/city.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Excuse me for my ignorance, but if you wanted to remain anonymous whilst posting on the QRZ website, could you not put a not quite correct address in?

Phil
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

filsgreen wrote:Excuse me for my ignorance, but if you wanted to remain anonymous whilst posting on the QRZ website, could you not put a not quite correct address in?

Phil
Yes you could if you wanted to.