Delta loop antenna project

HBP

Delta loop antenna project

Post by HBP »

Hi,

I thought I would share a project I have been meaning to do for a few months. I wanted an antenna for 2m(VHF) that would pack away for portable use. I saw this and thought it would work well http://www.k2zs.com/indoor-vhf-antennas/vhf-delta-loop

It could effectively be sized for any frequency. Its basically a loop of wire with 3 mounting points. I have a 5m length of coax attached to allow me to get it up a decent height (Height is everything with Antennas). To make the insulators for the corners I just used some squares of perspex I had lying around and drilled 2 holes in them for the wire to thread through. That way I could adjust them.
Delta loop antenna
Delta loop antenna
Tested it yesterday strung up in a tree with a couple of bungees and it worked great. Low SWR and good signal reports.

A quick and easy project for the radio types out there.
Wingfoot

Re: Delta loop antenna project

Post by Wingfoot »

Thanks for the link.

I have just bought the cheap baofeng handheld & it all seems very quiet around my area, as I'm new to radio I'm still learning but this seems like a good project & I plan to give it a go.

Cheers.
Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
HBP

Post by HBP »

The antennas that come with the Baofeng radios are known for not being very good. A replacement like this NA-771 or NA-701 really helps

Some of the first things I bought for my Baofengs were these: SMA-f to BNC and SMA-f to SO239 so I could connect them to the various antennas I have.

Bigger antenna up higher is a good rule of thumb :-)

An antenna is basically a conducting element so a bit of wire works well. Just needs some maths to work out what length etc
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Thanks HBP, I've just ordered the 771 as it has some good reviews.

I have another question if you will indulge me.

The boefeng uv5r I have has the ability to use the uhf pmr 446 frequencies which might be useful to me on the odd occasion, but what about the suitability of the standard antenna & the other ones you mentioned on those frequencies.

Most of the specs I can find only mention up to 430 MHz for these antennas, Including the one supplied with the radio, will using it on 446 MHz create SWR feedback issues ?

If so, do you know of a suitable antenna option ?

Thanks.
Wf
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMA-Female-Ba ... 1e89f123a2

After a further searching session on the auction site I seem to have answered my own question. :roll: by locating this antenna, it covers the 400-520 MHz range so should be ok on 446 ?

Do you know if its any good ?

Wf
HBP

Post by HBP »

Most of the "rubber duck" type antennas are pretty broadband. I know using the Nagoya antennas on a Baofeng handheld using the Australian License free channels which are 476Mhz work without any problems.

The radios come with a very wide frequency coverage and hence so does the antenna. They will work OK on pretty much any frequency you can get the radio to work on but it will never be the most efficient. For max efficiency you would need to make an antenna for the specific frequency you want to use but on a hand held, I wouldn't bother.

The usual disclaimer - Technically, using a UV-5R on the PMR446 frequencies is against the requirements of that service. However, if you were try, I think you will find everything works OK.

If you want to make an antenna more efficient on a given frequency, you could try fitting a "rat tail" cut for the frequency you are using. Have a look here. For 446 a rat tail of 16.9cm would be needed.
HBP

Post by HBP »

Wingfoot wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMA-Female-Ba ... 1e89f123a2

After a further searching session on the auction site I seem to have answered my own question. :roll: by locating this antenna, it covers the 400-520 MHz range so should be ok on 446 ?

Do you know if its any good ?

Wf
I think that's the antenna that comes with the UV-B5 which gets a good write up. I have one one of those antennas sat in front of me as I type this!

Its one of the better antennas that come from Baofeng. Its about 17cm long and I currently use it on a BF-888 that's programmed for some frequencies ion the 460-470MHZ range. It works great but I think my long Nagoya antenna is a little better. Its difficult to do proper lab testing on hand held antennas. Best thing to do is buy a couple of different cheap ones and do some testing in the real world and compare the results.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

HBP, thanks for being patient & explaing a few things to this newbie radio op :D

I will get that antenna I found as well as its not expensive & will give me another option to try.

Aso just ordered some of those adapters you listed, now just got locate some perspex, although I did wonder if a folded piece of tyre inner tube (ranger bands) may also work ?

Wire & connectors I can get from work. :D

Wf
HBP

Post by HBP »

No worries, its always good to share a bit of knowledge.

Re the corner insulators, anything that is non conductive would work. Could cut some bits from a plastic bottle or if you have some credit card sized loyalty cards kicking around, that would work.

For real basics try cable tying the corners into a loop and use some nylon cord.
insulator ideas
insulator ideas
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

HBP, thanks again, I've only had the radio for a week or two at most, so still finding my feet to be truthful, I'm sure it shows :D

I've seen & used some old military radio kit some years ago & also dabbled with CB even further back in time, but nothing amateur band related.

I have learned a lot in just the last 24 hours after doing some proper research online, not sure I will be able to ever create a set up that reaches "down under" but I have visited Oz previously & its the one place in the world I would love to live.

Cheers.

Wf