point of ham radios??

munchh

Re: point of ham radios??

Post by munchh »

Diva, just reading over the thread there is some great info, but im not sure you know what "you" want it to do, its one thig having any of it, but its the use you will get out of it that is key.

I will use ebay to make things easy, but its just to show, im not affiliated with any seller blah...blah....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Binatone-Lati ... 4191e962d5

These are the easiest ones to start with, cheap and used by lots of people for many different reasons, they are only short range, but i have used them across a 2 mile beach with nothing in the line of sight, so they can do well in the right conditions, plus a 2 pack gives you and your partner one.
But you are limited to just these 446 frequencies.

If you wanted to listen to other things which will give you more info in a problem situation them there are radios like these..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-5RG-UU-BAO ... 53f655022e

they will let you hearlots, from local security, airports, planes, taxis, amature frequencies, the list goes on, but you cannot transmit legally.

Or you could try a CB there are a surprising amount of people with them still out there they just dont talk on them unless they are 4x4ing or muck lorries or lorry drivers, or slightly drunk on a friday night (well round my way anyway), there are lots of 2nd hand ones, but a new ready to go kit can be had to fit in your car.

Hope i didnt confuse the situation any more ;)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

munchh wrote:Diva, just reading over the thread there is some great info, but im not sure you know what "you" want it to do, its one thig having any of it, but its the use you will get out of it that is key.

I will use ebay to make things easy, but its just to show, im not affiliated with any seller blah...blah....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Binatone-Lati ... 4191e962d5

These are the easiest ones to start with, cheap and used by lots of people for many different reasons, they are only short range, but i have used them across a 2 mile beach with nothing in the line of sight, so they can do well in the right conditions, plus a 2 pack gives you and your partner one.
But you are limited to just these 446 frequencies.

If you wanted to listen to other things which will give you more info in a problem situation them there are radios like these..

they will let you hearlots, from local security, airports, planes, taxis, amature frequencies, the list goes on, but you cannot transmit legally.

Or you could try a CB there are a surprising amount of people with them still out there they just dont talk on them unless they are 4x4ing or muck lorries or lorry drivers, or slightly drunk on a friday night (well round my way anyway), there are lots of 2nd hand ones, but a new ready to go kit can be had to fit in your car.

Hope i didnt confuse the situation any more ;)
Haha no, you explained well Munchh :) you say i can't transmit legally on this one:

Does that mean i would have to get a licence? or am i only allowed to listen to it and nothing else? :)
metatron

Post by metatron »

From a prepper standpoint you can just buy a bunch of chinese 5 watt hand held radios and just use them if it all goes tits up. Their cheaper and better built then most walky talky.

Very easy to use, type in the same number into all the radios and boom you have it working. Ofcom is not going to track you down if the countries burning.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Yeah well as an amature i didnt like to say that. :oops:

if we are talking hypothetical like TOTAL SHTF SITUATION, those radios would serve you well licence or not.

you can buy them in multiples, there are mant second hand ones. But for the money it hardly woth worrying.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
metatron

Post by metatron »

munchh wrote:Yeah well as an amature i didnt like to say that. :oops:

if we are talking hypothetical like TOTAL SHTF SITUATION, those radios would serve you well licence or not.

you can buy them in multiples, there are mant second hand ones. But for the money it hardly woth worrying.
Its not hard to get a license, but it does take an afternoon and you need to deal with amateur radio guys, which no offense meant, come across as being somewhere on the.

If you have no interest in the hobby, just buy the kit as I said.
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

metatron wrote:
munchh wrote:Yeah well as an amature i didnt like to say that. :oops:

Its not hard to get a license, but it does take an afternoon and you need to deal with amateur radio guys, which no offense meant, come across as being somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

If you have no interest in the hobby, just buy the kit as I said.
Sounds fine to me :) i think i'll have a better interest in the hobby once i understand it properly :)
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

We have some cheap Baofeng UV5s set aside for inter family communications if their is a disaster and the cell phone, mains phone and interweb stop working.
metatron

Post by metatron »

preppergb wrote:We have some cheap Baofeng UV5s set aside for inter family communications if their is a disaster and the cell phone, mains phone and interweb stop working.
If it gets that bad, one of the more useful things you can use a laptop for with out internet is slow scan TV. You plug the speaker port from the laptop into the radios mic, and the microphone port from the laptop into the radios speaker and you can use software like EasyPal to send files.
HBP

Post by HBP »

Reading through this discussion I think there is a lot of phrases and jargon being used that may be confusing. 2 way radios and walkie talkies being good examples.

Here is my go:

Most people can get their head round the fm radio they have at home or in their car. This is a receiver. Somewhere near(ish) your home there is a transmitter pumping out a powerful signal that you receive.

A ham radio, walkie talkie or 2 way radio is a transmitter and receiver combined in one unit. You can transmit so someone can receive you and vice versa. Normally known as a transceiver.

There are a lot of radio frequencies that can be used. Some are better for one purpose compared to another. E.g. Your wifi internet uses a very very high frequency to transmit and receive large amounts of data. Your old am radio uses a low frequency as they tend to travel long distances better. Your fm radio picking up radio 1 would be using something in the middle.

Don't get too hung up on MHz etc. think of it a just a way of identifying different frequencies.

All of the different frequencies that can be used by radios are allocated to different users, many of whom pay for their use. If you try to use a radio that works on a frequency you are not allowed (licensed) for you could cause interference. Think blocking the ambulance service from communicating as worse case scenario. And would technically be breaking the law.

Amateur radio has been allocated a number of frequencies globally that can be used if you have a licensed. Some frequencies are good for long range communications. Some are better for short range local communications.

You can buy big radios more suited to sit on a desk or small hand held radios often referred to by people as walkie talkies. Normally the hand held radios are designed to work on the higher frequencies so are suited to shorter range communications. E.g. Around town or might even be limited to line of sight.

Of course there are always exceptions to this and I am generalising.

There are other types of radio services available without a license in most countries. In Europe there what is known as pmr446. These are the cheap (or sometimes not so cheap) hand held radios you can buy from a lot of shops. They work on quite a high frequency and are low powered so are only really useful for very short range communications. The general rule is, if you can't see them, you probably can't talk to them.

I have been a ham for nearly 20 years and enjoy being able to communicate with another ham at the other side of the world with a transceiver and an antenna that is basically a 20m length of wire. No internet or other infrastructure involved. Of course, the key point is "another ham". Some hams buy a commercially made radio and use it. Some build their own. It's a hobby that allows a lot of experimenting which is why I like it.

You can buy all sorts of radios starting from a few pounds. A lot of people (me included) are using the cheap Chinese hand held radios often found on ebay. The downside of them is that you have to know what frequency to program them for so that you can use them. Out of the box they are not setup for any particular usage or license so shouldn't be used until programmed to a frequency you know you are allowed to use.

There is also a group out there who are buying amateur radio kit for when the SHTF thinking that in a disaster they will not need a license. The downside of this is that if you haven't used the kit until it's an emergency you will probably struggle to get the most out of it or anything at all. If you are going to buy some kit, you may as well put the effort in to get a license so you can practice with it.

I hope that all helps. I would recommend that anyone who is interested contact their local radio club. You can get you foundation license in a weekend and it will give you a good insight into what is involved and the ability to use a variety of radio frequencies. But then I am biased :-)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

If you intend to take a Ham licence or want to know more may I suggest this book to you. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation-Lice ... 1872309801

currently £4.99 on amazon it covers everything you need to know to pass the foundation Licence exam.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.