CB radio any one still using it

dangerman

Re: CB radio any one still using it

Post by dangerman »

£60 all in sounds reasonable. Sounds reasonable, but I have no idea what I'm buying really. Maybe that's what they will teach on the course. :D

I might get onto it on one of the summer classes. I should have a little time off over that period. Thanks mate.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Dangerman, It really is a straightforward course. I have known a seven year old pass. Take a look at some of the links I have posted in this forum and this link

http://thersgb.org/publications/alex-di ... -radio.pdf

while aimed at a younger person it is full of useful info.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

@ The-Mendologist,
I am reading the thread and take it that you have an amateur licence.
If you are in North Kent then maybe you could get in to our Essex repeater as other hams from Kent do.
We have a Monday net from 20:00 to around 23:00 which is run by Essex Ham on GB3DA.
Input 145.125
Output 145.725
110.9 ctcss encode.
If you can make the trip just ask the chair who is the prepper on the net and I'm sure he'll give me a shout, I've pointed him in the direction of UKP as it goes

Best wishes,
Wulfshead.
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

Wulfshead wrote:@ The-Mendologist,
I am reading the thread and take it that you have an amateur licence.
If you are in North Kent then maybe you could get in to our Essex repeater as other hams from Kent do.
We have a Monday net from 20:00 to around 23:00 which is run by Essex Ham on GB3DA.
Input 145.125
Output 145.725
110.9 ctcss encode.
If you can make the trip just ask the chair who is the prepper on the net and I'm sure he'll give me a shout, I've pointed him in the direction of UKP as it goes

Best wishes,
Wulfshead.
Yes you are correct and i can hit DA no problem, its already programmed in, will have to remember to have a listen on Monday.

Thanks for the heads up.
Appin

Post by Appin »

The Foundation Radio exam is very straightforward.

I did it a few months ago, I have since done the intermediate and that wasn't bad either. The group running the foundation course do everything in one weekend, they have taken a 10 yr old and an 88 yr old through no problem.

A lot of what you learn on Foundation is safety and proper radio procedure. The assessments you do include showing you can use the equipment properly.

Give it a go the amateur frequencies give much better communications options.

Appin
HBP

Post by HBP »

Don't discount CB as a tool to have as well as other forms of communication.

A ham license is a great thing to have and opens up the world to you. Everyone should get at least their foundation, if you are in the UK, but it is restricted to communicating with other license operators and sometimes you need to speak to other people.

CB is open to all and the UK is now allowing AM/SSB use so an improvement over the old 4w FM.

SSB on CB (11m) would give you greater range than some other forms of license free comms but due to the peculiarities of propagation you could find that someone 1000miles away can hear you but someone 50 miles away cant. That's why there are different modes/frequencies for different tasks.

Personally I would have every system available to me so I can communicate with everyone:
Amateur radio HF & VHF/UHF.
PM446
Simple UK Light business license for VHF/UHF. The low band VHF (77Mhz & 86Mhz) frequencies are under used and can give quite good performance.
CB FM & SSB
Marine VHF
DIY or ex military field telephones
Semaphore
Tin cans and string

I am sure you get the idea :-)

I have some experience of working in emergency management and we always have our own comms plus radios on other systems frequencies that we may need to use to communicate with other agencies or groups. That an a couple of sat phones but they get expensive!

Just my tuppence worth.

HB
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I have just had the forms mailed to me and am about to sign up to RAYNET.

I agree, a station should have as many modes a possible for emergency comms when needed, a hobby when not.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

I still have some cb radio equipment,we used to use it to keep in contact with other partys travelling with us on holiday in seperate cars.
Used comms since the 70 s am,fm,side band.
Last purchases were hand held units 27,81 eurosonic es 200 ,stuck longer antennas on ,and one extra battery and from high ground managed distances off 60 miles .
These things push a good 4 pluss watts and im sure are a good tool for comms as most radios today have limited out put.

Last time i powered up very few users at all,but quite a few dx stations .
Cb units were very popular and should be cheap to set up. Definantly not to be discounted very popular in europe too on cept.