CB radio any one still using it

preparedsurrey

CB radio any one still using it

Post by preparedsurrey »

I recently got my cb installed and working again in my van but the channels seem dead, caught what sounded like a hand over on channel 9 if people still monitor it and that's it! Ive got an amplifier hooked up as well so should be getting a decent range...
Should be a handy means of local communication if everything else goes down
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
The-Mendologist

Re: CB radio any one still using it

Post by The-Mendologist »

I still have my CB and where i am quite a few still use it, sometimes its dead with nothing on any channel and some nights its jam packed with everyone talking over each other on ch19 even though they have another 39+ channels to choose from depending on what rig you may have.
You will find that there are probably many out there just listening ( earwigging as we used to say ) and still not say anything but when the time comes and all the mobile phones are dead and the internet is no more, they will all be scrambling around in there sheds and lofts trying to find the old rig they put in that box some 20 years back and hoping it fires up.
At this point in time im not worried as my Ham radios have neen widebanded and will transmit on many frequencies.

Just to prove the point, i was sitting in my 4x4 in the middle of a field in Surrey and was talking to a guy in Spain on the CB, It does work!

Dont give up just yet.
piglet

Post by piglet »

I have a cb radio. I am not much of a chatter, but simply use it from time to time when needed.
ain't settlin'
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

It is coming back into fashion and has recently been de-regulated a bit more in the UK, it is still the only official emergency communications network so an essential bit of kit for many Preppers.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Ofcom have announced amendments to Wireless Telegraphy regulations that will enable AM and SSB Citizens Band operation on 27MHz from Friday 27 June. The permitted frequencies are the 40 CEPT Harmonised channels, which are the same as the American 40 channels. The power limits are 4W ERP for AM and 12W ERP for SSB. The full Ofcom statement can be found at http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consul ... /statement.
from
http://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/he ... cb-friday/

Ofcom PDF download here http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... update.pdf
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I've got a few CB radios, you get a few truckers and farmers on it but its largely dead. PMR446 radios tend to get a lot more action and their are quite a few internet gateways dotted around the world.

http://www.freeradionetwork.eu/downloads.htm
The-Mendologist

My neighbours and i have PMR446 radios so we can call each other and keep in touch but so does everyone else round here and sometimes its hard to find a channel that is free, you have all the young kids round here just pressing the PTT button just to make the radios beep.
Some of us, including me have the Baofeng radios programmed up to PMR446 and the preppers frequency, but if we all want to chat and go elsewhere a bit more private some of them will get left behind so to speak.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I'd like to get one. A hand held one I want, but I know the range is pitiful and they're so expensive. That's why I wish I could have one of those HAM radios, they're so cheap on eBay but apparently no good to me.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

I have a president grant 2 that is legal to use without ham licence by new rules ( but a dummy can make it get more channels, cut one wire and move a jumper as seen on youtube) I have am/fm/usb/lsb I have chatted with all europe and had hits in usa and I know if it was expanded I could do more, its about £200 from knights and for 12 quid they will fit a switch to flick it from legal to all bands and still honor the original guarantee.
The-Mendologist

dangerman wrote:I'd like to get one. A hand held one I want, but I know the range is pitiful and they're so expensive. That's why I wish I could have one of those HAM radios, they're so cheap on eBay but apparently no good to me.

Dangerman

It is easy to get your foundation licence, one of the club members 11 year old daughter got her M6 foundation licence a couple of months back, if she can do it so can you with a little time and effort.
To be honest the foundation licence is very easy to pass, go on you know you want to. Then one of those Ham radio's will be of use to you.

This may be close to you www.sadarc.org.uk/courses-2/foundation-course/