Which radio?

Appin

Which radio?

Post by Appin »

As posted I passed Foundation and am doing Intermediate in March.

I am looking to cover both HF and VHF bands. Any suggestions as to choice of transceiver?

4 children means money is an issue. Not got a huge garden so antennae have to be discrete and space is at a premium so no big shack.

Trying to get everything in one package seems a good idea. I has wondered if a Yaseu FT 817ND was the way to go? Or hope I get the Intermediate and hold on for something with more power? Not too familiar with the other manufacturers.

I have picked up a cheap 2M / 70cm band hand-held form Wouxun.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Appin
Rearfang

Re: Which radio?

Post by Rearfang »

I have a ft897 great radio but bit big for using in a car looking for a ft857 for that if you can cun to the extra seen on eBay for £400 ish don't cut corners on coax though
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I have an FT897, It is a nice radio and works well. I would caution you to test before Purchase anything from ebay as I have been caught in the past with faulty equipment. Another useful source of used equipment is here http://pub29.bravenet.com/classified/sh ... 4602&cpv=2

Also ask around your local club. Another good rig is the Icom Ic-7000, which I have also owned. These rigs are both small enough to carry around on a holiday. for a auto atu I would recommend the LDG Brand which I have found to be excellent.

regards

Kev
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I just bought a 5/10/40 & 50 watt TYT TH-9800 which is a direct copy of the yaesu 8900.
It has 10m/6m/2m/70cm and is also run by a fair few members of my local amateur society with good reports.
I have only used mine on RX but I am hearing good clear repeaters from 100 miles via my 2 meter half wave dipole (I do live on one of the highest points in Essex though, higher than my local repeater).
Anyhow, have a little youtube tour to see what you think.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
DKR

Post by DKR »

Appin wrote:As posted I passed Foundation and am doing Intermediate in March.

I am looking to cover both HF and VHF bands. Any suggestions as to choice of transceiver?

4 children means money is an issue. Not got a huge garden so antennae have to be discrete and space is at a premium so no big shack.

Trying to get everything in one package seems a good idea. I has wondered if a Yaseu FT 817ND was the way to go? Or hope I get the Intermediate and hold on for something with more power? Not too familiar with the other manufacturers.

I have picked up a cheap 2M / 70cm band hand-held form Wouxun.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Appin
I have and use a FT-817. Found it works well in the field for CW and PSK-31.

Ready to carry to glacier.

Set up and working 20M on PSK-31

A NUE-PSK is battery operated and does CW/RTTY and PSK-31 - no computer needed.

Operating at base of glacier, great fun.

Shotgun carry is owing to both moose (seen here) and a rather large number of bears in the valley. No fun being mauled....

Anyway - quite trouble free, all ham bands and at 5 watts, and with a good antenna, usable. Headphones/earbuds a must. I have the SSB Collins filter installed. CW is problematic on contest weekends, otherwise, so few CW ops, not a real problem....