intek mt 5050

Ewen

intek mt 5050

Post by Ewen »

OK I have ordered one of these, hope I have more success than the Garmin.

Anybody any experience with these?

Ewen
Hamradioop

Re: intek mt 5050

Post by Hamradioop »

I have no experience with that make but you should get about 1/2 mile range in town further in a rural area. Have a think about Ham radio, lots more flexibility on range. The Foundation course can be taken over a weekend. It will give you more ideas on how RF can work for you.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Ewen

Post by Ewen »

Thanks I think I will do that,

cant have too much education

Ewen
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Ewan,
I think Ham is the way to go.
I'm doing my foundation course beginning on the 15th Jan and have bought this 2 meter/70 cm 10 watt radio for £80 for after the pass.

http://www.amazon.com/LEIXEN-VV-898-136 ... B00LS8AJRW

Next year I'll go for my intermediate licence and upgrade to this quad-band with the addition of a 50 watt linear amplifier (got to give it a year so my beloved she-wulf does not get miffed at me slaughtering the bank account :lol: )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wouxun-KG-UV950 ... ds=uv-950p

You could spend £24 and get a baofenf UV-5R which is actually a good little 5 watt 2 meter/70 cm HT (I have 2 of these with extended life batteries on my station table which I moniter the 2 meter calling freq and the PMR channel 1 as I can't be bothered to use dual watch on my Leixen.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaoFeng-UV-5R-1 ... ords=uv-5r

I also bought a sma to so-239 converter (£3) so I can connect one of my hand helds (the one I monitor 145.500) to one of my antennas in my attic.

Speaking of antennas, I connect the hand held to a 1/4 wave ground plane home brew antenna that cost me £15 to make which includes the cost of 10 meters od RG8 low loss coax cable.
The Leixen is connected to a 1/2 wave home brew dipole which cost me a massive £20 including 10 meters of coax and pl-259 rig to coax connector.

You also get less idiots on 2 meter than on 27 MHz or 446 PMR, so I believe it's best value for the system.
Not forgetting that amateur has its emergency network RAYNET in place.

With the Leixen on the reverse freq of the local repeater (3DA) I can get a simplex 10 watt signal from 20 + miles away as I know that the FL station is using 10 watts and where his QTH is.

Also, if you can suss it out 70cm is actually quite good,although a tad neglected, so perhaps it's best to use it before OFCOM take it away.

Hope that gives you some food for thought and backs up Hamradioop's suggestion.
PS, before I got onto UKP and decided to go the comms route I had absolutely no idea how to make an antenna. They both have a VSWR reading of 1.3 and under :geek: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
m0tty

Post by m0tty »

@ Wulfshead

Goodluck with the foundation exam Wulfshead, hopefully meet you on the air when you get your callsign.

All the best

Daz
Stay safe, stay prepared.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

m0tty,
Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Plenty of mods you can do to the MT50-50 if needed such as opening it up for extra channels and increasing its power output, theres videos on YT on how to do the mods which only take a few seconds to do.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

preppergb wrote:Plenty of mods you can do to the MT50-50 if needed such as opening it up for extra channels and increasing its power output, theres videos on YT on how to do the mods which only take a few seconds to do.
A Word of Caution; these mods make it illegal to use without a intermediate or full Ham Licence
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.