Garmon Rino 655t

Ewen

Garmon Rino 655t

Post by Ewen »

Hi I have recently made a naïve dumb buy.

I bought a Garmin Rino 655t based on US reviews and my thinking it would minimise my kit load by an item. I did not realise that it worked on US (I understand if I use them in the UK they are illegal) frequencies.

Does anyone know if i can program, modify this to run on the PMR channels?

thanks

Ewen
unsure

Re: Garmon Rino 655t

Post by unsure »

i fail to see how it could be illegal to use it , theres no radio freq to interfere with emergency services or milatary radios . it just picks up sat signals after all .i do stand to be corrected if any one knows for sure .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Ewen

Post by Ewen »

This model is a GPS unit and a radio combined (seems like a good idea) but it is on the US system (didnt know they were different when I bought it) and not the EU PMR system.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Ewen wrote:This model is a GPS unit and a radio combined (seems like a good idea) but it is on the US system (didnt know they were different when I bought it) and not the EU PMR system.
I asked one of the tech guys at work, and he says no, they're illegal to use here. Apparently you can't buy them through Garmin's European Resellers for that reason, they're US only.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Ewen

Post by Ewen »

thanks Holomon for asking. I certainly dont want to mess up the emergency services or end up on the wrong side of the law, hence my question if it can be reprogrammed.

thanks again
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Ewen wrote:thanks Holomon for asking. I certainly dont want to mess up the emergency services or end up on the wrong side of the law, hence my question if it can be reprogrammed.

thanks again
No problem, he wasn't sure on whether they could be reprogrammed I'm afraid, they're very proprietary so he figured it'd be a long shot if it was possible.
Sorry!
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Ewen

Post by Ewen »

I appreciate you asking.

It is a pity as the hardware is amazing.

Ewen
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

unsure wrote:i fail to see how it could be illegal to use it , theres no radio freq to interfere with emergency services or milatary radios . it just picks up sat signals after all .i do stand to be corrected if any one knows for sure .
If it is used purely a reciever, it is not illegal in itself, but it is illegal to listen to anything other than Amateur radio, PMR 446 and the authorised Broadcast Bands. The act of using it to transmit is illegal. I would just use it as a GPS and ignore the FRS/GMRS transmitter. It does not even correspond with our PMR 446 service or the Ham allocation on 432 MHz. a quick google search for mods produced nothing, sorry
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.