Baofeng UV-5R Radios

DundeePrepper

Baofeng UV-5R Radios

Post by DundeePrepper »

Baofeng UV-5R radios, I know most of you swear by these for obvious reasons, small portable, low power consumption, vast range of frequencies.. and ofcourse the PRICE!

Is there big difference from the UV-5E and UV-5R I only ask for aesthetic reasons, also is their a particular Frequency that is agreed on in emergencies?
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
Wulfshead

Re: Baofeng UV-5R Radios

Post by Wulfshead »

DundeePrepper,
Just watched a video and from what I could see there is really only a few cosmetic differences and a few extra freq's on it.
Baofeng seem to revamp their UV 5 range by simply sticking a different letter or + on the side.
I was listening via my local repeater this week to the Monday Net and a guy on there was using a new Baofeng 8 watt handie with a micro mount sticking out of his window circa 20 miles away (Harlow in Essex to Danbury in Essex). He had absolutely no problems hitting the repeater.
One thing to remember is that the 5 watt (probably more like 4 watt) UV-5R range seems to be received as a pretty good handie for the money.

As for an agreed emergency freq, then if there is one could somebody remind me please ??

Sorry that's all I can offer,

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Cheers, was looking thru spec's on Amazon and my eyes went blurry, I think the 5R is probably the safest bet, all the reviews are pretty much top notch.
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
raz

Post by raz »

the UV 5R seems the best around for price but ive been told by people to order from a UK stockist as 1s from china can have faults and its a nightmare to return :/
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Raz,
Mine came with English on the voice already set, I hope mine came from an English vendor.
The only problem that mine seems to have, and I don't know if it should be that way, is that my radio will accept the offset for the repeater on Freq mode but it will not accept it to memory in channel mode.
I deleted the freq & channel position a couple of tines and started again but the problem still occurs ?

One thing I recommend is buying the extended life battery.
1) it comes with a power jack plug in point for solar charging if you want to go that method and
2) it makes it a more substantial, hand etra-friendly with much longer user life.
I have mine on for about 8 hours a day and the bigger battery lets me use it for a good week between charges, in fact it may even be longer !!

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
raz

Post by raz »

ive ordered a couple from ebay along with longer life batteries im hoping they get here before Christmas :p
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

DundeePrepper,
There is an official group for Amateur Radio that cover emergencies, they are called Raynet so I'd look there.

Also, the general breaking channel for 2 meter is 145.500 MHz

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Wulfshead wrote:DundeePrepper,
There is an official group for Amateur Radio that cover emergencies, they are called Raynet so I'd look there.

Also, the general breaking channel for 2 meter is 145.500 MHz

Wulfshead
The calling channel is the accepted term. It is a spot in the channelised part of 145 Mhz Fm that is set aside to establish communications by calling CQ. The use of CB terminology is to be avoided as it will cause offence to many older hams normally G3*** who think that because they pasted a written exam and passed a 12wpm Morse test they are superior beings. :) ;)
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Yep I hear you Hamradioop,
I was listening through 3DA when some guy called in with 'Breaker', like you say, he was kind of semi-told off. :lol:

By the way, it was not me as the only time I've keyed up on 3DA was when I did a quick check to see if my radios were programmed right to the repeater, Oh, and when the dog we are babysitting sat on my radio :lol: :lol:

Never mind,
Spoke to the guy that does the FL course and the exam. He was kind enough to say I can bring my 7 year old grandson to the course and exam to let him see what he will have to learn to pass his in a year or two.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator