D-Star

Briggs 2.0

D-Star

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

It seems I cannot overcome the interference I get from one of my neighbours on HF 40m and 20m using my G5RV. I've tried using my ATAS and 857, same background noise so it's not my antenna. Somewhere in their house they must have some form of analogue device that's creating noise and I can do without the hassle of asking them about it. So, I am toying with the idea of trying D-Star and I'm looking at the Icom ID-30E and the 2820H as possibles. I would use my existing UHF/VHF roof antenna. I am reading up on D-Star but would welcome any of the hams input and comment before I part with my cash. I-com push D-star but what are the pitfalls, if any? I get that if SHTF took the internet down then the D-Star network would go with it but for the non-SHTF times, I'd like to be able to contact people a bit wider afield.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
munchh

Re: D-Star

Post by munchh »

Not much help, just my opinion, D-star is legalised scrambling/incripting, the way I see it bit odd that its been allowed?

I would be more enclined to find out what it is that is interfering, it shouldnt be and is most likely those horrible wi-fi adapters that certain telecoms companies provide ( I know I might work for one).

D-star is very expencive and as its only usable if you buy a radio fitted with it, sort of goes in the wrong direction from what I understood amature radio to be about, I wont buy it ever.

rant over. :(
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

hi Briggs, have you looked at echo link? As far as I can tell Dstar is Icoms own make and Yaesu has something different. Looking at the maps I think you will be disappointed.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Sorry for the slow response to a thread I started, I've been away from my computer for a while.

@ham - I think you're right. I do not think I will be able to use the nearest repeater to me which is in Weston S Mare. I receive a low signal from WSM but I can't transmit or receive.

@munch - I suspect it's an old iron lung from the 50's that's on permanent standby :-)

@ ham - We've discussed this before, I think I'm going to play around with an end-fed and try different polarities and directions to see if I can get away from whatever the interference is. I know it's not in my house because I've shut everything off that runs on mains and batteries.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

the most common objects to produce QRM are switch mode power supplies, switch mode power supplies, switch mode power supplies. Energy efficient bulbs and plasma TVs.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.