Just passed Foundation level.

Wulfshead

Re: Just passed Foundation level.

Post by Wulfshead »

I'm a tad miffed, my weekend FL course and exam has been changed to 2 hours each week over 8 weeks.

Still It'll be worth the waiting.

Wulfshead the miffed
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Wulfshead wrote:I'm a tad miffed, my weekend FL course and exam has been changed to 2 hours each week over 8 weeks.

Still It'll be worth the waiting.

Wulfshead the miffed
Sorry to hear that Wulf. It should allow you to learn in depth, but from experience a weekend course works well. Seems a strange decision, it suggest a lack of instructors.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

To be honest I was looking forward to the weekend course as it would allow me to get my grandson interested (there are a couple of 9 year old girls that just passed the FL and I want my grandson interested in the hobby before he hits that age)
The 8 x 2 hour lessons on a school night will be far to much for him to take while just watching granddad and may lead to distraction at his age of 7.

I have read that Foundation Licence Now book to my eyes bleed :lol: and have scoured the net to remind me of long lost radio skills.
I've set up a 10 watt station at home for after the course and think I'm pretty much good to go.
Still, the 8 weeks on the course gives me time to absorb what has been taught and 6 days between lessons to evaluate and understand without the worry of fitting a tighter schedule into the thinking time.

Better to go with the flow I think.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Wulfshead wrote:To be honest I was looking forward to the weekend course as it would allow me to get my grandson interested (there are a couple of 9 year old girls that just passed the FL and I want my grandson interested in the hobby before he hits that age)
The 8 x 2 hour lessons on a school night will be far to much for him to take while just watching granddad and may lead to distraction at his age of 7.

I have read that Foundation Licence Now book to my eyes bleed :lol: and have scoured the net to remind me of long lost radio skills.
I've set up a 10 watt station at home for after the course and think I'm pretty much good to go.
Still, the 8 weeks on the course gives me time to absorb what has been taught and 6 days between lessons to evaluate and understand without the worry of fitting a tighter schedule into the thinking time.

Wulfshead
Have you read through this RSGB book? It's worth a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amateur-Radio-E ... 7V5J4HGVG0
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Wulfshead wrote:To be honest I was looking forward to the weekend course as it would allow me to get my grandson interested (there are a couple of 9 year old girls that just passed the FL and I want my grandson interested in the hobby before he hits that age)

Wulfshead
Have you read through this RSGB book? It's worth a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amateur-Radio-E ... 7V5J4HGVG0
Thanks Briggs, just ordered it

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Appin

Post by Appin »

Just signed up for the Intermediate.

3 days over 2 weekends in mid to late March.

She who must be obeyed said OK even though her birthday is on one weekend.

Appin
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I wish you well with the intermediate course.
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I passed the Foundation Licence exam last night with a 25 indicative mark.
I'm already eyeing up a place on the Intermediate course later in the year.
Just registered on the RSGB website and now I'm am awaiting the arrival of my candidate number so I can get my call sign.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Wulfshead wrote:I passed the Foundation Licence exam last night with a 25 indicative mark.
Just registered on the RSGB website and now I'm am awaiting the arrival of my candidate number so I can get my call sign.

Wulfshead
congratulations Wulf, the next step with the intermediate would be a good move,

regards

kev
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Wulfshead wrote:I passed the Foundation Licence exam last night with a 25 indicative mark.

Wulfshead
Well done, fella. Although don't get your hopes up thinking you'll be speaking to me or Ham anytime soon. We've tried 40m, 20m and 2m comms and we can't talk to each other, despite being in adjacent IO squares! (I blame my antenna, not Ham's kit).

Ham - On that note, I've got my RT320 set up portable with 2.4m whip and end-fed plus dipole wires and I'm planning to get up onto some Exmoor high spots to see how good this classic rig is. Maybe we should try a couple of set frequencies again. If anyone else on HF is up for setting a day, time and frequency(s) it could be the start of some regular HF contacts.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors