What is it - a very newbie question

PreppingPingu

What is it - a very newbie question

Post by PreppingPingu »

I have skimmed over various posts on radio over the years on the forum as I have no knowledge or understanding about it. Curiosity has got the better of me now!

Sooo what is ham radio? Why is it important in a SHtF situation? Is it just for listening to or is it a 2 way communication? I am assuming it works in a different way to conventional listening to radio that we pick up ie radio1 jack fm etc. My pc speakers sometimes pick up a foreign language being spoken/radio transmission of some sort even when my pc is switched off but they are still connected to the electricity. I wondered what I was picking up and how as as far as I know my speaker have no receivers in them! Something must be acting as a receiver. Having said that it hasn't happened for a while as I have been making sure I switching everything off at night as they are outside my bedroom door and it woke me up once.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Hamradioop

Re: What is it - a very newbie question

Post by Hamradioop »

Hi Pingu,
Ham Radio is a two way communication system using radio waves. Radio Hams can talk to each other from anywhere in the world. For Prepping purposes if it is used it will allow you to talk to others in your Family or group at some distance. There are also suggested international Ham Radio radio spot frequencies for Preppers when the SHTF. Think of Police radios.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

@Pingu

If you're curious about what goes on in the world of radio waves then look up a low-cost gizmo called an SDR dongle. This link will give you a pretty good idea. It works via your PC and will give you coverage of the entire radio spectrum. You can only listen though.

http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/realtek- ... ounds.html

@HamRadio

I should be able to get up a ladder this weekend, so we'll try for that elusive HF first contact!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

@Briggs just seen your message, been in wales for a reccy, oops I mean holiday.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
azandgilluk

Post by azandgilluk »

hi all

im a m3 license holder and thought i would comment on this post

amateur radio is great although a lot of people think its for boring old farts but it can be very useful in a shtf situation when you need to get emergancy comms out there someone will answer you
there are many modes you can use to get a message out sat, data, repeaters, d-star, moon bounce, hf (ssb) but you can also use it to network with locals in your area get to know them ask them about equipment but dont always go for the expensive stuff theres a lot of cheap alternatives out there and they work just as good and in my case better than the top brands

ive had a 30 mile contact on simplex ( non repeater) mode on just the standard antenna on low power thats what i would need to get my message out there for help

go for the foundation license its worth it read a lot and listen a lot to here what people talk like on there it helps for the exam if you have a scanner look up your local and wider area repeaters listen to the "nets" people get involved in and most importantly go to your local club hope this helps