Morse Code

Re: Morse Code

Postby ukpreppergrrl » Thu May 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Deeps wrote:Morse speed is very prone to 'skill fade' without practice, its not something you tend to dabble with, you either do it or don't

Ain't that the truth! Learnt it for my ham radio licence about 10 years ago then never used it and now...I can't even remember it other than my call sign! :shock: However, learning was quite fun - I also used Morse Mania for listening practice and then I used to "translate" all the signs I saw on my journey into work for sending practice. I ought to see if I can relearn it. I figure it's always handy to have.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb

Postby Arzosah » Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Good grief! I don't think I'll start learning, in that case :( I've got more chance of remembering semaphore from when I learned it at Brownies! In fact, I can still remember the first half dozen :lol:

Postby Zunzuncito » Sun May 07, 2017 9:06 am

Funnily enough I saw on the Android play store the other day an app for a Morse code flashlight - it effectively uses the camera on your mobile phone as a torch, you type in the message and the phone turns it into morse code and flashes it using the camera/torch. I thought this was quite clever.

Postby Brambles » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

Zunzuncito wrote:Funnily enough I saw on the Android play store the other day an app for a Morse code flashlight - it effectively uses the camera on your mobile phone as a torch, you type in the message and the phone turns it into morse code and flashes it using the camera/torch. I thought this was quite clever.

Now that is a cool idea. :)
Prepping Lite. We carry a lot of food and torches, but we also like wine and holidays ~ itsy

Postby aldhelm » Mon May 08, 2017 11:12 am

If only there was an app to translate it back again

Postby Brambles » Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 pm

aldhelm wrote:If only there was an app to translate it back again

After ZZC mentioned this I ent and checked it out and apparently this one does. :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_GB
Prepping Lite. We carry a lot of food and torches, but we also like wine and holidays ~ itsy

Postby Hamradioop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Computer translation of morse tends to work on machine generated code, how ever it is very unreliable on hand sent morse. Humans tend to slur their code especially after a few drams Lol
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

Previous

Return to Radio Communications