Per day?

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
6XW

Per day?

Post by 6XW »

Here's my situation. I need water for the following.
  • Me - 39, Male
    Wife - 34
    Son - 15
    Daughter - 13
    Daughter - 8
For ONLY DRINKING, how much would I need per day as a rough estimate? Put ages just in case that affects anything. Of course, just a rough estimate if anything, understandable it's hard to know.

Thanks in advance.
Imagine society as a sinking ship.
Most of the passengers are ignoring the warnings and denying that the ship will sink.
A select few however, are already in a lifeboat.
nickdutch

Re: Per day?

Post by nickdutch »

IIRC its about 2L per day tops per person for drinking, not body and face washing, laundry or washing up / cleaning.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

2 litres per day is a bare mimimum, I tend to think of 3 as being a sensible minimum.

But this goes up quickly to 7 or 8 in warm weather or if doing anything physical, including being unwell.

Interesting document here: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... ter_en.pdf

In that the World Health Organisation suggest a daily minimum of 5 litres per person per day for up to one month (increasing after that) for drinking only.
Last edited by Malthouse on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

When off grid, Mrs B and I plan for 20l per day for drinking, hand washing and cooking.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
6XW

Post by 6XW »

Thank you very much everybody!
Imagine society as a sinking ship.
Most of the passengers are ignoring the warnings and denying that the ship will sink.
A select few however, are already in a lifeboat.
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Coming late to this one but just thought I'd add a couple of things - firstly when hiking/camping around 15 miles a day this summer (not especially hot but still...) I only went through 1-2 litres a day, not including washing.

Also the often cited '2 litres a day for health' notion is a myth, http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -water-day
But also remember that a lot of our water comes from food and if you are relying on a lot of dried food then that will ofc affect things.

So although it would be nice to allow 3-5 litres a day per person I certainly think you could manage on a bit less, especially when 'bugging in' and not being unusually active.

A typical water butt contains 150 litres so for a family of 5, even allowing just 2-3 litres per day each, that is 12 days supply (per water butt) without doing anything else to obtain water and assuming no rain falls.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Sphere guidelines for humanitarian interventions recommend 3 litres per person per day for drinking and cooking, 15 litres per day if including washing, laundry etc. Available online. Worth a read.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Just for drinking?
At LEAST 3LTRS per person per day.

As the great 'lofty' once said -
Don't conserve water, conserve sweat